I Forge Iron

pattern welding

ok, so yesterday i was trying to forge weld a bunch of bandsaw blade pieces, banding stock pieces together, everything was going just fine, i started with 11 pieces, welded them together, folded it 4 times, then i remembered i had a piece of 3/4 x 1/8 x 8" long pices of D2 tool steel laying around, so i figured what the heck, ill use it on this, so i got it all ready to forge this morning, fired up the forge, set the piece in the forge, when my phone rang, i was on it for about hmm let me look at my phone, 4 minutes and 15 seconds, i picked it up to hit it with the hammer to weld the tool steel to it, and it completely melted everything off the end of the handle i had attached to it, i did manage to get a small piece of it out of the forge, but for the most part 2/3 of it melted away,
i did have a shut off valve on my burner with a needle valve to shut off most of the gas for such occassions, but the needle valve crapped out on me, and i took it off,
and i thought i was doing so well on my first forge welded part, that was yesterday, what a change of days will do, ill get my needle valve fixed up and have another go at it as soon as i pick up another bandsaw blade

Ron