I Forge Iron

1/4" bolt tongs

FieryFurnace

I was planning on making some S-hooks today but I needed a new pair of 1/4" tongs for the purpose first.

I used 7 1/2 inches of 1/2-inch square bar.

Using only a hand hammer and a little under the treadle it took me about 2 hours start to finish. (That's if we don't count the first half of the tongs that I burned to clinkers and had to redo!) :huh::angry::unsure:
I could do it faster but after I finish forging everything to shape I go over everything with a flatter, then grind, then sand.

Anyway!

For those of you who may not know, bolt tongs are shapped like they are because they were originally used in making....guess. BOLTS! LOL

I used the "V's" in the swage block to sink the jaws. Just get the stock size you want the tongs to hold and drive it into the jaws over the proper sized "V" swage.

DSC01241.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

DSC01246.jpg

Very respectable job! With experience, you'll come to appreciate a nicely forged finish. Saves a lot of grinding and will become a point of pride. Looks like you're well on your way.

Yea, coming out of the fire smooth would have saved me a bit of grind time. What I did on these is a light going over with the hammer and then with a flatter under the treadle hammer. I should have rounded the corners some with my hammer, but opted to use the grinder instead. Wrong choice! The grinder did the job but the hammer would have been faster!

Thanks for the complements!

Nice job on the tongs and a good observation about forging to a finish rather than filing. One heat can save you many minutes with a file. You can make your tongs even more functional by forging or filing a v-notch at 90 degrees to the one that is already there (across the jaws). That would allow you to hold round or square stock vertically from the side for upsetting, heading, etc. I have made a few like that and they are among my favorites because they are so versatile.

Nice job on the tongs and a good observation about forging to a finish rather than filing. One heat can save you many minutes with a file. You can make your tongs even more functional by forging or filing a v-notch at 90 degrees to the one that is already there (across the jaws). That would allow you to hold round or square stock vertically from the side for upsetting, heading, etc. I have made a few like that and they are among my favorites because they are so versatile.

I was looking at them thinking about trying that yesterday!