I Forge Iron

Barrel Hinge Pintle

Just starting out blacksmithing but one project i might like to complete in the next few months would be iron door furniture for wooden garage doors.

Going for barrel hinges, the strap portion doesn't seem like it'll be too difficult.

As for the pintles i've seen some round stock wrapped in a loop which gets forge welded shut.

Instead of this could you take length of round stock (say 3/4"-1"), leave 3-4" for the pintle itself and then flatten down and bend 90deg and then 90deg back on itself after 1-2" to form the fixing plate?
Or would this not be strong enough?

Thanks

Not enough info to truly answer your question, but yes, a 3/4 or 1" round bar with a 1-2" offset would be pretty strong. Most of the garage door hinges I have made have 1/2" pintles to give you an idea, and these were for large solid wood doors, very heavy.

3-4" is a pretty wide hinge by the way.

Instead of this could you take length of round stock (say 3/4"-1"), leave 3-4" for the pintle itself and then flatten down and bend 90deg and then 90deg back on itself after 1-2" to form the fixing plate?
Or would this not be strong enough?

Thanks

'Barrel hinge', I would term this a strap hinge but not knowing your location, you may be describing the same item.

You can make them however you want,

Wheter they would be strong enough depends on thickness where strength is required and weight/size of doors you are to be hanging.

If you are fixing from the outside, security could be a problem.

good luck with the project

Not enough info to truly answer your question, but yes, a 3/4 or 1" round bar with a 1-2" offset would be pretty strong. Most of the garage door hinges I have made have 1/2" pintles to give you an idea, and these were for large solid wood doors, very heavy.3-4" is a pretty wide hinge by the way.

Yeah i didn't really think it through before typing out. i guess probably about 2" pintle probably

'Barrel hinge', I would term this a strap hinge but not knowing your location, you may be describing the same item.You can make them however you want, Wheter they would be strong enough depends on thickness where strength is required and weight/size of doors you are to be hanging.If you are fixing from the outside, security could be a problem. good luck with the project

This is the sort of thing i meant
200px-Hinge2P3.jpg

Security wise, while the door is shut they can't be lifted off, true?
As long as i use smooth headed fixings it shouldn't be a problem should it?

Yeah i didn't really think it through before typing out. i guess probably about 2" pintle probably

This is the sort of thing i meant
200px-Hinge2P3.jpg

Security wise, while the door is shut they can't be lifted off, true?
As long as i use smooth headed fixings it shouldn't be a problem should it?

That is a cranked strap hinge as I know it, as opposed to a flat strap

(Google Barrel hinges for pictures/description)

Security wise, if it is inside the door jamb and lintel, no it can't be lifted off, and so long as the fixings are undoable, all you have to worry about is a prybar to be used to remove them, but you know your location and vulnerability and so can design accordingly

The only other problem with a dog leg bend is the bearing/wearing surface contact area over a period of time, but at an inch diameter that is a minor concern