I Forge Iron

Sticky Problem

knots

Sticky Problem - I use a fair amount of duct tape. However it is way to wide for some applications. One day I got the bright idea that I would just curt a roll in half. Fired up the table saw sawed it in half. Got the tape cut but the blade was fowled . It was a sticky mess. So I used all of that cut tape up and tried to think of another a way to cut the tape without the mess. Got the bright idea that I should freeze the tape and then cut it. Didn't work - Gooey mess again. I suppose that my next effort will be to make up a mandrel and try to slice it in the lathe.

My fallback is to just tear the tape down the center as I use it. I did that for years but now my curiosity is challenged. Any Ideas for a tape roll slicer ?

Set up a jig to hold the tape. Place a sharp blade against the roll and unwind only half, leaving the other half of the tape on the roll. The blade should be enough to cut the tape as it unrolls. Throw the unused (other half) of the tape into a box for use when you are not near the jig.

Set up a jig to hold the tape. Place a sharp blade against the roll and unwind only half, leaving the other half of the tape on the roll. The blade should be enough to cut the tape as it unrolls. Throw the unused (other half) of the tape into a box for use when you are not near the jig.

You know something really cool? Packing tape dispensers are this jig 3/4 built for you!

Phil

The mandrel on the lathe idea is the closest to the way some tape is sliced when manufactured. Get a commercial grade pizza cutter, mount it to your cross feed on the lathe, and feed it into the roll while it is rotating.

I have continued to play this thing through looking for a solution. What I think will work is an open ring formed from flat bar, probably 5/16 inch thick stock. The width if the bar being the width of the tape. So - Insert the ring into the tape and then install the roll directly on the lathe chuck. Run the jaws out to secure it in place on the chuck. Seems like this should work since the cutting load/torque will be low.

I like your pizza cutter analogy, only I will probably make a cutter wheel more like a big pipe cutter blade. Yep could mount it on the tool post. Bet Aloris never thought of this ! :)

I just clamp a box cutter blade on a block of wood to the top of my workbench and rotate the roll against the knife blade. Unroll either side (i.e. use the tape) until you need to cut it deeper. The nice part is you can have a couple of different widths ready to go on a single roll. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I will set one up and take a picture.

Ward

I just clamp a box cutter blade on a block of wood to the top of my workbench and rotate the roll against the knife blade. Unroll either side (i.e. use the tape) until you need to cut it deeper. The nice part is you can have a couple of different widths ready to go on a single roll. If that doesn't make sense let me know and I will set one up and take a picture.

Ward

Thanks Ward - I like the simplicity of your solution.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

You can also search for gaff tape in 4", 3", 2", 1" and 1/2" widths, in a wide array of colors. I prefer it to duct tape, less messy, easier to work with....

go to rosebrand.com search for cloth spike tape, 1/2", comes in a lot of colors. Check it out, wild stuff.
Cliff

"fair amount"........Apparently you have never watched the "Red Green Show" or you would know what a fair amount of duct tape is, duct tape is the handy man's helper. Heck, it's good for dang near every thing from prom dresses, tuxedos, hammocks, foul weather coats, boat repair, sail patching, you need it held together you use duct tape. Why it is the most useful thing since man discovered fire and the next most useful thing to a woman doing all the work and a man watching her and giving her step by step instructions. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...