I Forge Iron

The wind forge

dancho

The wind forge with drum control as shown at Ivano Frankovsk blaksmith festival 2010.

Six to eight people operating in turns and conducted by the drum beat provide steady blow for the char coal ceramic forge.
40 mm thick bar takes 10 minutes to heat

Quite fun and some people even get high from hyperventilation if trying too much.

Idea: Bogdan Popov
Realization: Sergiy Kariy

post-12722-0-40797600-1299606796_thumb.j

That is AMAZING and mind-boggling to say the least! :o:)
My brain had to check with my eyes again to make sure I was seeing what they presented.
Would you tell us more about the event, the forge, and its functional use!

Thank You for the un-expected!
Ted Throckmorton

[
Would you tell us more about the event, the forge, and its functional use!

Ted Throckmorton

Well, the festival is quite famous. There is a lot about it here on this forum at

As for the forge -- I would say there is not much function apart the one for the festival show. It is hard to employ 6 people permanently unless you have slaves (like I suppose it was in Egypt original ones)
I think it can be also good for education projects and such. The idea was to show the possibilities of human body and team work. And this was definetely successful.

This year in Ivano Frankovsk festival(May 7-8) we probably repeat the demonstration. Welcome to Ukraine!