I Forge Iron

post vise help!

bourne101

I was on craigslist a couple days ago and stumbled on a deal i couldn't resist... i found a 100lb post vise for $40. sure enough i picked it up today and it is in great condition except for a couple parts i'm not so sure about. the spring is not pushing the jaws apart the way it should. it still has somewhat of a spring too it, as in it stays connected to the jaw, but it wont push the jaws apart. when i turn the handle the jaw just stays where it is and i have to pull it to when i've opened it too but it closes fine. does anyone know a way to fix the springs or get a new one? and there is another piece just behind the post that seems almost cracked in half but theres paint in the crack so i'm not sure if it is just two different parts or broken...pictures are worth a thousand words so i'll get them up tommorrow but any help is appreciated

Did you disassemble the vise and make sure the pivot area is clean, not rusty and oiled?

I've noticed a lot of vises where the spring couldn't work against a cruddy pivot area but were fine after it was cleaned and oiled.

If that's OK then you may want to re-arc the spring to be a bit more aggressive. If it's a high carbon spring I would suggest doing it hot. If it is low carbon you can do it cold. When in doubt, test it or do it hot...

Just picked a post vice up today. That took two guys and a large pry bar to get it to move. Either way.
Its been outside for years attached to a table. A columbian. So we pryed it open and sprayed this aerosol lube called free away or free up. Can't remember. But comes from kenworth dealer.
Buddy said it was better than pb blaster. I never saw it before today.
But after a minute it was working perfectly without taking the pivot pin out. I Just took the guts out and pushed it closed a bunch and that stuff free it up nicely.
I Just happen to stop by the garage on the way home and glad I did. Ended up with a free can of that stuff. Saved me having to take it apart any further. And above all the threads are literally perfect. Except the first half inch. Ain't sure it was ever used hardly. The Guy I got it from didn't use it Cause it was stuck closed. So I got a good deal on it.
Amazing to me how penetrates have evolved over last 25 years. I apologize for not being sure of the name of this product. I'll post up on it later.

ok now after trying to get them all uploaded at once for about a half hour i'm going to up load them one at a time...sorry about any problems with the picture quality. now back to business, i took a closer look at the screw and the threads do look pretty dirty and their doesnt seem to be any lubrication left on it so i'm going to clean that up and put some oil on it. now back to the piece i thought of as broken, i have a picture of that up as well and it seems almost as if they could be wedges controlling somthing to do with the spring and seperation of the jaws. now just to clear things up i have never had a post vise so i really don't have a clue what i'm dealing or what i can break/ruin on it =) and sorry they turned out oversized.

post-7516-0-38593000-1299115487_thumb.jppost-7516-0-86190000-1299115511_thumb.jppost-7516-0-34132100-1299115547_thumb.jppost-7516-0-17072100-1299115564_thumb.jppost-7516-0-67364600-1299115579_thumb.jppost-7516-0-87495300-1299115770_thumb.jppost-7516-0-31418000-1299115789_thumb.jppost-7516-0-38786300-1299115820_thumb.jppost-7516-0-68054800-1299115857_thumb.jppost-7516-0-59834200-1299115875_thumb.jp

Wow Those are BIG photos, I thought the new format would automaticly size them. The wedge thing is the clamp that holds the spring on and mounts the vice to the bench or post. To remove it pound out the one nearest the vice and then the other will come out. It is adjustable for height to allow you to mount it on different height benches.
Rob

Just picked a post vice up today. That took two guys and a large pry bar to get it to move. Either way.
Its been outside for years attached to a table. A columbian. So we pryed it open and sprayed this aerosol lube called free away or free up. Can't remember. But comes from kenworth dealer.
Buddy said it was better than pb blaster. I never saw it before today.
But after a minute it was working perfectly without taking the pivot pin out. I Just took the guts out and pushed it closed a bunch and that stuff free it up nicely.
I Just happen to stop by the garage on the way home and glad I did. Ended up with a free can of that stuff. Saved me having to take it apart any further. And above all the threads are literally perfect. Except the first half inch. Ain't sure it was ever used hardly. The Guy I got it from didn't use it Cause it was stuck closed. So I got a good deal on it.
Amazing to me how penetrates have evolved over last 25 years. I apologize for not being sure of the name of this product. I'll post up on it later.

I will bet dollars to donuts that the magic stuff is Kroil

No its not kroil. That's are drug of choice at work. Has been since TVA started I guess. There's can laying around like beer cans after a party.

Which I use Kroil daily at work. Its free So we drowned stuff. And its great. But this other stuff seems a little better. Just used it other day. I'll figure out the name of It. Just as soon as my son tells me where he set It down.
I know its FREE. Something. Came from Kenworth dealer. They sell it. I do know it was made in Ohio I think. Kroil is made in Nashville. Or it was.
I was just passing it along. Cause it really worked for me. Don't smell bad either. Thought folks might.try it sometime. Shame I Can't find the can. Blame it on the boy. But he had It last. I'll find it And report. Sorry for the lack of info.

Totally unscrew the handle and remove the screw and screwbox. This will alloy you to clean them effectively as crud lurking in the screwbox will help wear your screw faster. (It looks in fine shape now, with care your grandson will be saying the same!) Soaking in a bucket of kerosene or other solvent can help loosen up the 100+ year old grease and dirt in the screwbox. Just oiling will make it run easier but it will be like using a lapping compound on the parts. Once cleaned you can grease the screw and go to town! Oiling the pivot and the front thrust washer is suggested too.

The mounting plate is fastened to the vise with a removable bracket---these are often lost and it's common to buy postvise with no mounting plate, bracket or spring. *EASY* to replace so don't worry about possibly mucking it up fiddling with it. (And as mentioned you will probably want to adjust it for your work bench height if you use it on a pre-made bench.)

Note that it is easiest to fiddle with the bracket and spring with the vise opened up such that there is no tension on the spring. Try to keep track of the parts though. Every toolbox I have seems to have an extra wedge set in it as the vise I travel with seems to never got to site with the "original ones"

Very nice vise---enjoy!

Okay. I found That can of penetrate.
Its called. FREE ALL.
It really is a good product. I've used kroil all my life. At work And home. And I do believe this stuff is better. It seems to act alot faster. And I'm a professional Kroil user. Gallons of it. And I'm gonna see If the plant will order some of this stuff.
..sorry I talked about it and didn't know the name. But found the can in my truck.And just thought I pass It along as to how well It works.