I Forge Iron

My first solid fuel forge

caotropheus

Looks like it works, though you need the fuel higher so that piece is thrust into the pile not on top of it. A couple of fire bricks around the rim helps a lot as you can configure them to let the piece in but keep the charcoal from spreading wide.

One other suggestion, rig up a flip or swivel cap for the ash dump---the rthreads will get very cruddy pretty fast making it a pain to use a threaded cap. (Did that with one of my early forges, never again!)

"Best way to get better welding is to weld!" a welding friends comment on my welding---he then gave me 40 pounds of rod so I guess he wasn't impressed with my welds...

Thank you very much for your replies.

About the fuel depth, this was the first fire I lit for the picture. The pile of fuel I use is higher and always generously covers the piece I am heating. The forge works really well and the rod shown is a piece of round stock 12 mm, was red cherry in about half a minute. Now I am building small "gates" to close unused gaps I left in the frame surrounding the table top.

The table top is 70 cm long x 50 cm wide