I Forge Iron

This anyone you know?

The ads on this site are the bain of my existence. Every time i open pictures from a first post in a thread, the advertisements block my view of the pictures. I know they are needed to help pay the bills, but it is getting to the point where i don't even bother to open the pictures in the first post of a thread.

I had just started to learn farriery by traveling with Al Kremen in the Rolling Hills area near Los Angeles. It was 1963. Al said we were going downtown to meet Mr. Pitt, the owner of a Walking Horse. Turns out that Mr. Pitt had a large smithy in the industrial section of L.A. It was called "Pitt's Blacksmithing Service." I remember that a lot of the work was in dressing pavement breakers. Mr. Pitt was a black blacksmith and getting up in years. I mention his 'color' only because I think that many of us Anglos picture only white blacksmiths in our mind's eye.

Mr. Pitt had a decent scrap pile behind the shop, and I noticed a leg vise and floor mandrel in with the scrap. I asked him whether those items were for sale. He responded, "Son, at my age everything around here is for sale, including me!"

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools