I Forge Iron

Video on forging pintles

Great vid! Thanks for sharing that, Capt.

There's a lot to be said for having a shop floor made of wood blocks.
When I worked as a carknocker in the old PRR roundhouse in West Senceca N.Y. the floor was oak blocks like this one.
Working on a concrete floor all day is tough on the back but not nearly so with a block floor. Also there was no heat in the roundhouse and if it's winter a concrete floor will sap the body heat right out of your feet in no time but a block floor won't.

I have that episode saved on the DVR. I also have another one with Peter Ross and Roy doing cold/file work. Then another were hes at Williamsburg having strap hinges made, then finally one more where he visits Don Weber (chair maker/Blacksmith) in Paint Lick,Ky looking at a copy of the mastermyr chest and forging an adez..

+1 on Peter Ross being a true master. That said, I have to comment on a major safety issue in this film. I don't have television so I don't know if this Roy Underhill is as unsafe in other films as he was in this one but to show that video without wearing safety glasses was a disservice to the viewers. I cringed as I watched him lean over the anvil to see where Peter's blows were falling, at times his eyes less than two feet from the hot iron. In this litigious society, safety equipment is mandatory and should be a part of any educational film. I keep both safety glasses and ear plugs (for when I'm running my air hammer) for visitors and if they won't wear them, I won't work. I apologize for the lecture but since the majority of this forum consists of people new to blacksmithing or part time hobbyists, safety needs to be reinforced routinely.

Glad to have helped. Here is another video of hinge making: http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2700/2712.html

Good points Neal. Underhill is an expert woodworker and isn't so careless in his field of expertise. But he was getting a little too close for comfort for me in the video.

Thats just Roy, being Roy.Not saying its safe or right, it just is what it is.Ive been watching his show for years..Me and dad get a kick out of counting the bandaids and smashed fingertips he has on every show. Hes often called "Saint Roy" by hand tool aficonado's..Let him get a piece of molten flux up his nose and he'll stop doing that :lol:
My buddy started wearing safety glasses when he had to have a piece of wire from a whirly bird taken out of his eye at the ER.We welded together for years, Im amazed it hadnt already happened.Some folks have to learn the hard way..