I Forge Iron

how to start a forge fire video

FieryFurnace

May I suggest two things to help with the smoke problem.

1) Use newspaper in the chimney to get the draft started, a couple of sheets will do. It burns much quicker and hotter than the envelope.

2) When you start the fire in the pot, lay the cardboard (your example) so there is a V opening toward the chimney. Light the fire and allow the fire to start burning the cardboard with the fire escaping out the V section and into the chimney. Now rake some coke or coal onto the burning cardboard and use a poker to allow (encourage) the flame to escape out of the V section and up through the opening you make in the coke. This will produce the heat needed to create the draft up the chimney, as well as burn some of the smoke, producing more heat, making more draft. Now that the fire is burning, rake more coke or coal onto the fire, and again poke a hole for the smoke and fire to escape.

You can use another sheet of burning newspaper at the front of the chimney to both ignite the smoke and produce heat to help the draft if needed.

3) A piece of sheet metal about the height of the top of the chimney opening placed against the far side of the forge and against the chimney will block 1/3 1/2 of the room air trying to get up the chimney. This produces a much greater draft as the chimney now only draws air (and smoke) from across the fire. Remove the sheet metal when the fire gets the draft fully established, or your ready to forge.

With a little practice you should be able to build the fire with little or no smoke getting into the room.

When using cardboard, I tear or cut a strip of cardboard about 2 inches or so wide and about 24 inches long, or what ever is available. Roll this into a disk. Light a piece of paper, or a thin strip of cardboard and place it in the bottom of the fire pot. Place your cardboard roll on top of this fire and move coal or coke in around the sides to hold it in place. The fire should want to come up the open center of the roll as well as the channels in the cardboard. As the fire ignites the roll, rake more coal or coke in and over the roll, leaving a way for the fire to escape to the surface. As the fire becomes established, rake in more fuel, again leaving a hole for the flame to escape. This will act much like a volcano and accelerate the combustion rate of the fuel.

I find it best to establish the fire in the fuel you have before adding more fuel.

With a little practice you should be able to build the fire with little or no smoke getting into the room.

Thanks Glenn! My shop is still very open. Two ten foot doors and two fourteen foot doors open into the barn and shop. (We've got to order lumber to build the doors.) And the barn is still not finished out, so it is open other places as well. I've got a lot of wind blowing through my shop half the time. That is why the smoke was going everywhere.

I will definately use your suggestions until I get everything closed up and maybe still after that if I have problems at start up!

Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...