I Forge Iron

peter wright 112lb

i found a peter wright 112lb anvil locally, and the guy wants $450 firm, is this too much? its an older anvil, the guy is in his 40's and said his dad got it used about 30yrs ago. the face looks good, and it has a good ring. i dont want to be a cheapskate, but it seems like a lot of cash for a small anvil

i found a peter wright 112lb anvil locally, and the guy wants $450 firm, is this too much? its an older anvil, the guy is in his 40's and said his dad got it used about 30yrs ago. the face looks good, and it has a good ring. i dont want to be a cheapskate, but it seems like a lot of cash for a small anvil

Hard telling if it`s a good price or not not knowin` where in the world you`re at.
Out in CA there are folks who might think that`s a good deal but here in Maine anvils still go for $1-$2 per pound on a regular basis.
I`d look on Craigslist for your area to see what the regional asking price is.If he says he`s firm on the price then just leave an offer and your number.In a month or so you may get a call.

guess I didnt do a very good job filling out my profile, I am in central Nebraska. I figured that $1.50 per lb is about the max i want to pay. I plan in knife making, and getting into doing small thing like fireplace tools and the likes. My forge is only 2"wide x 4" tall x9" deep. I can open the back, but still am limited on length as it sits on a bench at this point since Im not allowed to have it in the middle of a vehicle bay at work.

p.s. this anvil is on craigslist. I have called on many in my area, but a bunch of them are cast or something because the just "thunk" when you hit it with a hammer. or they want between $4-$8 per lb, or you get the ones that weigh 500lb, and i have no way to move it

guess I didnt do a very good job filling out my profile, I am in central Nebraska. I figured that $1.50 per lb is about the max i want to pay. I plan in knife making, and getting into doing small thing like fireplace tools and the likes. My forge is only 2"wide x 4" tall x9" deep. I can open the back, but still am limited on length as it sits on a bench at this point since Im not allowed to have it in the middle of a vehicle bay at work.

p.s. this anvil is on craigslist. I have called on many in my area, but a bunch of them are cast or something because the just "thunk" when you hit it with a hammer. or they want between $4-$8 per lb, or you get the ones that weigh 500lb, and i have no way to move it

For small work the size is O.K.

Some perfectly good anvils thunk when hit by a hammer, Fishers and vulcans for example. Fishers are a top rated anvil, I have one and love it. Vulcans are more low-end but not junk by any means.

It seems just a bit high to me... I am in the Saint Louis area and I have a 179 pound Peter Wright that I would sell you for $425.00. So that's about 40 per cent more anvil for a cheaper price. Just to give you a reasonable comparison. My anvil is not pristine but in what I would term quite good user condition... a few small edge chips, a little edge wear, one small chisel mark in the face near the horn. As you might expect from a Peter Wright, it has very good rebound. I am not actively marketing it but I would sell it if someone wants it enough to come after it. I also have a 256 pound Trenton that is my main anvil.

Aren't "bladesmiths" anvils generally a cube of steel without horns? (Allow me some license here, and see where I'm going :D )

Seems to me that, for a lot less than $4.50 a pound, you could get yourself a really nice chunk of steel as a drop from somewhere, or an old piece of farm equipment that would work for blades and small items. You could probably have your anvil set up including stand, hardware, racks, etc., for a hundred bucks. That would leave you with $350 to spend on the next, reasonably priced, anvil that comes along.

NM is pretty much an "anvil poor" state but I bought a 112# PW last spring for US$150 in excellent condition---nearly pristine save that some #$%^ broke off the tip of one of the feet. Can you start hunting the anvils that are NOT being advertised they tend to be cheaper?

Put up a card at the local feed store saying "beginning blacksmith needs using anvil..."

I assume you have already talked to everyone at church, your friend's, your friends relations, your relations, random folk on the street...