I Forge Iron

Whats on your Anvil this weekend?

I'm working on a fire poker set for a customer.

Nice work on your items. So when you make chain do you actually use it when done? I made a chain with a hook on one end and pulled a downed tree with a truck. I have plenty of manufactured chain but thought it would be fun to make a chain and use it for something heavy.

Snow unfortunately! Didn't get a chance to get out this weekend-work got in the way both days. I do have a pair of tongs in the works, and a few other small tools. hopefully next weekend. I can't wait till there is daylight later than 5:30pm! Happy Hammering
JW

Snow unfortunately! Didn't get a chance to get out this weekend-work got in the way both days. I do have a pair of tongs in the works, and a few other small tools. hopefully next weekend. I can't wait till there is daylight later than 5:30pm! Happy Hammering
JW

Hear that! I was up getting my wife out of the driveway with my Kubota tractor this morning and just kept going until there was room for more snow.

Then.....I don't have the forge together yet either. :unsure:

I was busy forging some 2 inch round 4140 into a die for sharpening jackhammer bits. The die came out good, unfortunately i am realizing my press is too slow. I need a powerhammer! I did manage to get a couple bits sharpened in only two heats each with a hardening oil quench. I was shooting for one heat. Trying to be as efficient as Grant is not for the faint hearted!

I was busy forging some 2 inch round 4140 into a die for sharpening jackhammer bits. The die came out good, unfortunately i am realizing my press is too slow. I need a powerhammer! I did manage to get a couple bits sharpened in only two heats each with a hardening oil quench. I was shooting for one heat. Trying to be as efficient as Grant is not for the faint hearted!

Ironstein, is there still a market for sharpening the jackhammer bits? Do you heat treat them also?
I have a Little Giant 250 sitting around here that I'm trying to think of a way to put it to work. I guess making a leaf with it would be kinda interesting :)

Rhrocker, not sure if there is a lot of work sharpening jackhammer bits, but i went to the rental yard and they guy said he use to have a guy come around and sharpen all his bits, but he disappeared. Put it this way, if i lived in a place conducive to a powerhammer, i would have one, and i would try drumming up some business sharpening bits. I would hit up All the big brand stores with rental departments, and all the private rental yards.
I was given advice by some highly regarded smiths. check out the thread heat treating and forging jackhammer bits in the heat treating section. It just isn't economical for me to do it with my slow press, and i m not fast enough to do it by hand in one heat. I can put that hammer to work for you! To tell you the truth i don't really know how loud powerhammers are, I remember someone saying they get more complaints about their grinder than the powerhammer. The bottom die for the bits is around 20 to 25 degrees, and the top die is flat.

I decided to go ahead and make a couple Pilums, I figured, if I'm gonna make one, I might as well make 2, so that way when I give one away, which was the plan, I'll still have one, I made the tips from 3/4 round, and pounded them into a square taper, then some 3/8ths round for the shafts, still some woodwork to go, and assembly, but by sunday, they should be done!