I Forge Iron

Looking for Anvil

I am a horseshoer wanting to expand my metal working and I am looking for a shop anvil. Basically just general balcksmithing with a lean toward some blade smithing later. Is there any preference for anvils - style, manufacturer or size. I was just floating the idea of something around 200lbs. I apprenticed on a Hay Buden which I liked and have been offered a Peter Wright. Any opinions??? Or advice????

I am a horseshoer wanting to expand my metal working and I am looking for a shop anvil. Basically just general balcksmithing with a lean toward some blade smithing later. Is there any preference for anvils - style, manufacturer or size. I was just floating the idea of something around 200lbs. I apprenticed on a Hay Buden which I liked and have been offered a Peter Wright. Any opinions??? Or advice????

what weight is the Peter Wright? condition? they are great anvils

Advice depends on what you plan on doing with the anvil and what other tools you might have. Pick an anvil that reflects the size of your planned projects. 200lbs should likely be fine for now. You might keep your eye out for a long sturdy plate if you expect the need to flatten longer stuff, although with practice flattening by eye should be no challenge. Both Hay Buden and Peter Wright are good brands. If you have been offered a 200lb Peter Wright in good condition for a price you like, I would suggest grabbing it quick.

Anvils seem plentiful in your area and priced lower than elsewhere... given that and todays economy I'd say that you would get a pretty good deal anywhere from $400 to $600. From $600 to $800 would be more of a seller's deal. Take a good look in person though and use a small hammer to check for hollow sounds or poor rebound anywhere on the face.

nice anvils, not abused, sell for 3-6 dollars a pound these days. I saw a 600 pound peter wright, two weeks ago, sell for 5700 dollars, which did not include shipping........so in effect, the buyer paid over ten dollars a pound on ebay for that anvil. Even "mutts" of anvils are selling for 2 dollars a pound and UP.

My advice is to add your location in your posts so we know if we need to make suggestions for Australia, South Africa, South America, etc.

Are you in an area where noise may be an issue? If so hunt for a Fisher (or much lower on my list a vulcan)

Will you be traveling and taking a forge to demos and shows? If so I would not go above 125# or under 75#.

Are you "stable" and have a good sized shop? Then 150# would be a lower end, 200-250# a good general one and keep your eye open for a big anvil! (Of course if you will only be doing "trinkets" then that small demo anvil will suit even in a bigger shop)

Brand: there are a slew of good brands, (Postman has identified over 200 anvil makers just in England!), Here in the USA Peter Wright, Mousehole, Hay-Budden, Trenton, Arm and Hammer---not vulcan!, Fisher, are some of the "old" brands that are quite good indeed! There are a number of new make anvils that are respected as well you can find long threads about them on this site.

Really I go more by "condition" and size rather than "brand" once an anvil passes the "not an ASO" bar.