I Forge Iron

Iron Worker

Rhrocker

I've been thinking about an iron worker lately. Like everything else, prices vary from one end of the rainbow to the other :unsure: . Just need it for really basic tasks, and don't see the need for anything over than about 50 tons. If you're wondering why, it's because I am disabled with fairly sever back, hip, knee and shoulder osteoporosis, which has meant several operations, and don't want to go throught that again if I can help it. Seems like a IW would be a great tool for me, if that is I could find one reasonable enough. I'm currently looking in the Grizly catalog, and Enco also. I know there are more better sources and units, but I'm not very conversant with these things, and the budget is limited to around $3K, which really puts a dampner on things probably.
So, do any of you have one, and how is it working out for you? Any used ones out there? Oops, that's a tailgate topic I guess.

Robert

Edited by RHROCKER

I researched and saved a llloooonnnnggggggg time before buying mine. I have an Edwards 55 ton. Paid $5800 3 years ago, NEW. I love it.
Reasons I bought it.
1. Great machine for the money
2. American Made
3. Interchangeable backend tooling
4. 14" mid shear
5. Angle shear

I would encourage you to buy the bigest and best your money can stretch to. When I first started looking, my budget was the same as yours. I soon realized that you get a much better machine when you break the $5500 to $6000.
Having said all that, now is a great time to buy anything. Keep looking used, I just saw another 55 ton edwards go in the $4000 range used.

Being a geezer, I have a fondness for the old mechanicals. I have a little Wysong that I picked up for $700. Around 20 ton, but different operations have different leverage. Mines on wheels and runs just fine on a one horse power 110V motor. It shears 7/8 bar, 2-1/2 X 2-1/2 X 1/4 angle, 1/4 X 4 or 1/2 X 2 flats and punches 5/8 through 1/4 or 3/8 through 3/8.

Mechanicals are quiet, take very little power and are fast. Downside is that once you step on the pedal there is no stopping or turning back. Not for everyone.

These machines are worth their weight in well................ let's say copper B)

If you have the 'right' work it's just the beastie! My little baby crops 60mm bar and will punch 32mm hole in 16mm plate it has a flywheels that weigh more than a ton each.

Ian

I bought a 40 ton Kingsland hydraulic new 14 years ago, it is hugely underused, I work it for about 5/6 hours every 3/4 months, but in that time I can crop and punch enough components that used to take days/weeks to make. I would not be without it,I only use my drill and bandsaw now for tube and box section.

Being a geezer, I have a fondness for the old mechanicals. I have a little Wysong that I picked up for $700. Around 20 ton, but different operations have different leverage. Mines on wheels and runs just fine on a one horse power 110V motor. It shears 7/8 bar, 2-1/2 X 2-1/2 X 1/4 angle, 1/4 X 4 or 1/2 X 2 flats and punches 5/8 through 1/4 or 3/8 through 3/8.

Mechanicals are quiet, take very little power and are fast. Downside is that once you step on the pedal there is no stopping or turning back. Not for everyone.

that sounds like a nice tool grant! ide like to find one that ran on a flat belt... as far as where to find one might try craigs list ... saw some used newer style ones on the local seemed to be reasonable prices ... good luck!