I Forge Iron

New Anvil

Have been blacksmithing for many years on various anvils that I bought cheap or salvaged. I have some good ones and some not so good. I am interested in buying a new anvil but before I do I wanted to see if there is any advice I could get. I like the Nimba Centurion but have never used one. I also am interested in a Fontanini (Rat Hole Forge). If anyone has a moment - Thank you.

Years ago I saw Hofi use one of his anvils and was very impressed with its features. But yes, I would have to probably win the lottery first since my current anvils pretty much do what I need to do.

Sure would be nice if one of the local blacksmith guilds would save their pennies and invite Hofi back for another yearly event. Yup, sure would. Yup.

I've been using the 250# Rathole for about four years, and it is holding up well under the work. It has a 1 1/8" hardie hole. I'm considering turning it over and grinding/sanding the side-table thinner, so that I can use it more effectively for drawing out fork tines, etc.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools