I Forge Iron

"New" forge

Junksmith

Last weekend I bought a rivet forge identical to the one pictured (this one is from e-bay. I haven't taken my own pics yet) for $125. It needs minor repair and I think I can handle that. What concerns me is this: I have since heard some folks rail against these forges as practically useless. I know they're not top of the line but I am planning to use it mainly for demos - maybe once a month - so I'm thinking this is a nice portable alternative for light work. Does that sound reasonable?

Also, is it worth claying in for such limited usage?

Thanks in advance.
Joe

post-6932-0-82331000-1296049008_thumb.jp

Joe,

The only problem with the rivet style forges, to me, is the depth of the fire it allows in its natural state.

Clay, or even fire brick, built up to create a deeper firepot or "duck's nest" will definitely help you out.

I think you'll be fine for light work... 1/4" "S" hooks, blades from files, etc... good and portable for demos.

You'll find out soon enough that fire depth and stock / fuel capacity will be an issue if you start trying to work big stuff.

Not that it can't be done; just not as efficiently as a full sized forge.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Don

Joe;

Nice little forge. I've been waiting for a callback on one like that myself.

The one I built for traveling has the same problem as a regular rivet forge, that is high sides, and no firepot. Main problems are only being able to heat the "point" of a piece unless you bend it to get it into the fire, and keeping your fire "corralled". Hard to work in a little pile of coke, but it's also hard to keep your fire from spreading to the rest of your coal.

I got around these problems by using a bearing race, aprox 8" dia, 1 1/2" high over the grate. This allows me a deeper fire because I can continually pull coke up on top, brings the heart of the fire up to the level of the rim of my forge pan, and blocks the fire from creeping out into my reserve fuel supply. The heat transferred also allows the green coal to slowly coke, ready to be broken up and pulled up into the fire.

I used the race because that was what I'd found at the scrapyard. You can use a section of heavy wall pipe, an old el cheapo cast iron saucepan with the bottom cut out, etc., just anything to raise the level of your fire to the point that you can work in it about horizontal.

Thanks to both of you. Yance, I'm glad to hear the bearing race works for you. I was considering that as well. The original grate burned out and the previous owner replaced it with a flat steel plate with holes in it. I've got a slice of steel pipe that I could tack weld to that plate - or just let it stand free. My only beef with clay is that it covers the blower mounting bolts that may have to be removed for maintenance at some point. My main forge is a car wheel type with a shallow steel ducks nest and I've used it for 3 years now without a problem so that's familiar enough. The lever forge is so much lighter and I won't have to carry a champion 400 blower with it for demos. As I get farther into this, I'm definitely seeing the value of a smaller, lighter traveling outfit setup (smaller anvil & vise). It will be well worth the extra pumping and coal to save my back a little. Thanks again guys.

Joe, I would still put a clay liner in it. The clay will not adhere to the forge like you think...you can actually remove it once it has cured as it will shrink some. If you ever need to remove the blower just lift the liner out and get after it. I have seen these forges with fire brick cut to fit which serves the purpose of the line and gives you some fire depth, slaying two feathered friends with one stone so to speak! Also, with this added depth you most likely will be able to work a little larger stock, I have forged 3/4" stock and forge welded 1/2" stock with mine but I do have some fire depth from my liner. This forge is only for my demos tho. I did have pics of it but since the crash of the gallery I know longer can find them. :angry: Make your repairs and enjoy it, it's not a production forge but works great for what you want to do with it.

I wouldn't consider these for a working forge in the shop as the pot is small, and you really can't get much done at a time, however, our club WRABA uses them for demos at art shows and the like all the time. They work just fine if you are just puttering about, making noise on your anvil to draw a crowd.

Clay it is then! I'll go look up Frosty's recipe!

And thank you Thomas. I should have listened to you the first time but I like to get as many ideas as I can before I start. I didn't realize that the clay would not be permanently stuck to the pan. Firebricks are good too. Lighter. Even with the clay though, it will still be lighter than my main forge.

Clay it is then! I'll go look up Frosty's recipe!

And thank you Thomas. I should have listened to you the first time but I like to get as many ideas as I can before I start. I didn't realize that the clay would not be permanently stuck to the pan. Firebricks are good too. Lighter. Even with the clay though, it will still be lighter than my main forge.

"Tis a wise man that gathers information from more than one source!" Surely someone important once said that. ;)

You can build a big fire in a little forge, and do big work. Just build a a BIG FIRE. My demo forge is 16" round, and I have heated 1" square to a white heat with it. The problem most people have is they don't heap enough extra coal around the fire. I'm talking 5" + high bank on both sides of the fire.
The only problem I've had with your style forge is the blower is usually smaller. That will be your biggest hindrance in getting it really hot.

I once had one for demo's. The portability is a real advantage. When you prepare the fire clay liner mix add a little portland cement in with the clay before wetting. Mix as dry as possible tamp in place to form. When drying, it will likely crack, so cut it into two or three sections while wet. If you want, embed a bit of chicken wire for added strength to accommodate moving it around.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I used Frosty's forge clay recipe and clayed it in this weekend. I'm pretty sure the mixture was a little too wet but I tamped it down and scored it per his directions so I hope it will be OK. It looked dry the next day but it will be at least a week before I'll even have time to build a fire in it. I'll start with a small fire or two to make sure it's cured and let you guys know what happens. One plus: In trying to get the consistency right I mixed up WAY too much refractory so I went ahead and built another forge! Just a cylinder cut in half longways with a pipe going up the center. Very down & dirty, but it should make about a 12" long fire and be handier for knives. I'll take pics of that one too once I light her up.