I Forge Iron

carbon steel forging colors

dickb

I'm ok forging mild steel, probably 1018 steel.

What temperature, actually what color, should I heat automobile leaf springs or automobile coil springs so I can forge without running into cracking problems.
Same question but differant material, how about 1 1/4 inch jackhammer bits.?

Not a very difficult question for an experienced person.

Thanks in advance

the main thing when working tool steel is to forge in the fewest heats possible, never hit it when it loses its yellow/ orange hue. If you know me, remember how few heats it took forge the hammer? are you still using it? any cracks?
give me a call,...maybe come by the shop,...bring your steel

If it was ever any kind of spring, its not mild nor 1018, and neither are called tool steel where is this post coming from? Either way the colors are about the same, there are charts, but my idea of orange red and yellow may not be the same as what you are thinking about them.

the main thing when working tool steel is to forge in the fewest heats possible, never hit it when it loses its yellow/ orange hue. If you know me, remember how few heats it took forge the hammer? are you still using it? any cracks?
give me a call,...maybe come by the shop,...bring your steel

L

Sure I remember you, How could I forget.

The hammer is holding up fine, No cracks and no problems of any kind.
I'd love to stop by the shop, but will call first.

Every blacksmith has made a at least a couple of knives and that's what I was thinkin about. I collected a couple of leaf springs that I'm thinking of working on.

A friend of mine delivers truck replacement parts, so a couple of heavy truck axels, about two and a quarter inch diameter, seem to have followed me home. At least one is brand new. Also a couple of smaller axels. I can drop a couple of these off if you have any use for them.

I go up to Goshen on a pretty regular basis. Maybe we can get together for coffee or a drink.

D.B.

PS What are you doing with those beautiful faces you forge ?

Well every alloy has it's forging range and there is no guarantee that 2 springs are the same alloy---even off the same vehicle!

But: I generally forge spring stock at a good orange and STOP forging before it gets to a low red.

High alloy "Tool steels" will often have an upper limit whereupon they will "cottage cheese" if exceeded; which is a pity as they are often so hard under the hammer that a higher temp is contemplated during working of them! I won't suggest a colour for them as they are alloy dependent but be cautious as you get into the higher orange regions!

Remember that in cold weather cold tooling like anvils and postvises can "quench" hot higher carbon steels and so be sure to pre-heat or to be careful where you place your piece to "rest".