I Forge Iron

Resurrecting an H&B....

Thinking of taking this 100lb HB to a machinist to get it flattened on top, then weld a new 1/2"- 3/4" face on it. Any suggestions on what grade of steel for face and will I need to temper it once the new face is welded on? I plan on putting it back in service also, so no wall-hanger with this one. Any suggestions and ideas welcome.

thanks

post-16991-0-59983900-1295397821_thumb.j

post-16991-0-37608900-1295397878_thumb.j

Most of that face is pretty good. There is a set of directions on repairing damage like that with hard face rod. I would use it the way it is but machining off the face is not a good way about repairing it.

I am not finding the thread discussing Rob Grunter's method.

Phil

That is not an Hay Budden anvil its a cast iron steel faced anvil. Most likely its a Vulcan brand anvil. It is hardly worth the effort to fix it up as these were low quality anvils to begin with. Also you are going to have a rough time welding tool steel to cast iron. Its not impossible to do but not easy. You will need to harden the face plate before you can temper it. If you are doing it to be able to say you did it more power to you. But if you are doing it because you can't find or afford a real one I would say don't bother wait until you can find a better anvil.

Looks like a Vulcan alright---note the casting porosity peaking out under the horn plate in that picture. Pretty much the lowest tier of "real anvils"; but it will be a quiet anvil and so good for suburbia.

Since the body is cast iron this is NOT an anvil for getting all medieval with a large hammer, I've seen several badly broken and was given one pretty much destroyed that I use as an example of what NOT to do with an anvil!

What made you think it was an HB? HB's should go for several times what a vulcan in this shape would.

And DON'T TAKE ANY MORE OFF THE FACE!

Yes, In re-building an anvil with a cast iron waist a layer of nickle rod is need for the transition between cast iron and steel welding wires. When I re-build anvils I run hard-facing down the side a bit on my anvils also and to coat everything needed with a nickle rod that would be very expensive. Nickle rod, ni rod 99, in my area is $25 per lb last time I needed some and an anvil would require a few lbs of rod. So unless the anvil has sentimental value a different anvil with a steel waist would be a better investment. It would be a good beginner anvil, so if you get a better anvil there won't be as many hammer marks.