I Forge Iron

RR spike axe

i made my first spike hawk when i started out smithing a few years back, it turned out awful and i havent made one since. so now i figured i would try it again and see if i can do it right after 4 years of practice. this is the result.
post-1642-0-66971900-1295273294_thumb.jp
post-1642-0-92836900-1295273286_thumb.jp
post-1642-0-12139200-1295273280_thumb.jp
post-1642-0-73111300-1295273272_thumb.jp

the eye is round because i didn't have a drift other than a hammer drift so i used my cone mandrel after using a hammer drift.
i actually like how this came out. thoughts and comments welcome

Ed Steinkirchner

the eye is slit and drifted, then opened on the cone mandrel until round. this was more an excercise in upsetting than anything. what makes it easier is a pair of tongs that can grip from the head end of the spike so the blade can be thinned easily. it took about 6 or so heats to upset enough metal to make the blade broad enough. on the next one im going to draw the offset part of the head so it supports the handle. im trying to make something a little better than a novelty. just to see if i can.

Ed Steinkirchner

ive tried to do that kind of bend/upset maneuver on one that i forgot i made(because i sold it)and i couldn't get the transition at the inside right. it was too square and it wanted to crack. ive done square corners and even so i couldn't get it quite right, so i figured that upsetting would work. as for handling it, that wont happen for a week or two because i totaled my car i can't go from college to home on weekends because i need picked up, and that isn't possible every weekend. so it may be a while till it gets finished. but, oh well, stuff happens.

Ed Steinkirchner