I Forge Iron

anvil score!

Yup found it on Graig's list. The seller knew what it was worth (selling for around 400.00 on e-bay)but was willing to let it go for 200.00. I felt 200.00 was a great price since I have not been able to find one this size for uner 400.00 in a few years of looking. A farrier friend of mine gave me a small gas forge and I bought a pair of tongs the other day, Next project build a stand then on to making some tongs and hardy tools. For stock I have a few five gallon buckets of files hammers and leaf springs I have been picking up at garage sales. Also it has antique value I think Hay Budden stopped making anvils in 1925.

Mitch

I have a 150# Hay-Budden myself. Gave $350 for it and would not take double my money back for it. In all honestly I got lucky when I bought it. I didn't even know what a Hay-Budden anvil was. I got to reading up on them and figured out what I had and was very happy with it. In all honesty, when I bought it. I thought I had gave to much for it. Beings it was the only anvil I could find within a hundred miles or more, I bought it. I got lucky to say the least.

Scott

You'll enjoy your HB and it being your first anvil, will become your "go to" anvil regardless of how many anvils you have.

My first anvil was also a HB. I had been into blacksmithery for about two-three years, and was about 13 or 14 years old. I got really tired of using a cheap HF anvil. So I got a ride up to the local blacksmiths shop (now closed) because I heard that he had an anvil for sale. it was a 175# HB I didn't know at the time however. I paid $300 for it and thought I overpaid seeing as it took me a couple months to save hat much. thinking back now, pretty good deal for a HB, and I learned an awful lot on that anvil. Now I am focused more on the European and Colonial pattern anvils, but she's still my favourite, and because I spent so much time learning on it, I know every sweet spot, dip, ding, and curve on it. I love that anvil and wouldn't sell it for the world.

Aaron