I Forge Iron

Is this someones idea of a joke? ( Ebay)

Wesley,

Look at the location. It's in India and the description is post 1940. So less than 70 years old. It's clearly targeted to collectors, not a users. The seller has a bunch of funky ironwork listed. I kinda like looking at it.

Could you make that for less than $125 I can't.

I`m willing to help a brother out here Tim.
I can send you a flat rate box of my home made charcoal with 2 for real RR spikes buried in it.I know you have hammers and chisels and stuff hangin` around cause I saw them in Sam`s pics he took of you guys.
All you need then is time buddy.
You can repay the postage after you sell the second spike on Ebay. :)

In the US maybe something like that (cleaned up and useful) would be that price ..or more if you made it for sale. Southshore...I think yours would have a flat top ready to use.

When I was in India I saw many fab shops, but only a few smiths. The smiths I saw were actually pretty good given the products they could sell.

I saw a locksmith in an open air market...he made "simple" steel sheet metal locks with one to five mechanisms (with one-five keys). I was tempted to buy his whole kit and set it up as a wall display in my shop. All his tools, less the files, he had made and he brazed the steel sheet with a small charcoal fire right on the street side. I did get a few locks and even talked him down a dollar or two..not sure why as they were inexpensive and he could use the sales.

I think I looked to him as others look to me when they stop by my shop....its all relative.

Now if I could just find an old filemaker's tool kit.....I like the look of them.
Ric

look again at the size its small .. got some time in file work tho... not a piece i think i could sell not at that price ... but my coustomers are cheap.. and that isnt a piece to use but for decoration... probably isnt hard and its real small .... might work for silver work but not finished fine enuf for that ..overall i wish him luck selling that if it sells i might make a few... figure no more than two hrs to make one...but i bet it dont sell...