I Forge Iron

Rail road track anvil

Lol oops it's the first time posting a new topic , well I havnt an anvil, but do work for the railroad and got my hands on some 115lb rail ! ( weight measured by the foot) us. About 3ft so the problem I am faced with is making a bick and hardy/ pritchal (spelling ?) I was thinking about using an oxyacetylene torch to rough cut a point but not sure how to make the others, any pics and ideas would be FANTASTIC !!!!! Thanks in advance.

my first anvil was a rail. To make the horn I welded a 10''peice of round stock to one side with a small brase under it. it worked great till I got a real anvil. I still use it now and then due to the fact it is way more portable. There are also a lot of photos out there of railroad anvils. just a google away.

Well if you have access to a powerhammer how about torching the web and foot from the horn area, heating it up and forging it to a horn shape. Heat treat per Weyger's "Complete Modern Blacksmith" instructions.

Torch off a tad of the web at the heel as well and gut grind a slot in the top for the hardy and weld a cross piece to make the back wall for it---lots easier to clean up if you have access to the slot...