I Forge Iron

Loss of a good friend and Bladesmith

doc

This notice is for those who new Mark Woods of Confluence Pa. Mark passed away suddenly at home on Friday,January 7,2011.
Mark was my shop assistant here at Peters Valley Craft School for one entire summer and for half of a subsequent season.Those who new him will remember his humor,his immense knowledge of Damascus pattern development and drive to impart this knowledge to others.
Although I had only known Mark for five years he had become a great friend.I enjoyed working with him on the day to day repairs that running a teaching studio requires he was a very competent mechanic as well as blacksmith.I look now at his presence in my life as a gift and I'am very sorry that this gift is no longer here for me to enjoy.I will although have a life filled with the memories of who he was and how he has influenced my life and will continue to do so.
Rest In Peace Dear friend.

Dick Sargent

PAABA was contacted by Susan Brimo-Cox this morning informing us that Mark Woods passed away. He was a former member of PAABA and his area of expertise was knife making. As I recall, many smiths would remark that the "Woods boys make a nice knife".

Our condolences go to the family.

Visitation will be held at the Humbert Funeral Home in Confluence, PA - January 10, (today) from 7-9 PM and Tuesday, January 11, from 11-1,burial will take place on Tuesday afternoon.

Chris Holt

PAABA Secretary/Editor

It’s a very sad day that we lost Mark. He was as good humored, talented, and generous as they come. He would give you the shirt of his back if you asked him to. I met Mark while taking classes at Peters Valley Craft School. We became fast buddies and I will miss him.

Some of my memories are long winded stories, polishing Damascus jewelry that he made for the craft auctions (all the time), spending hours unrolling coil springs for Clay Spencer’s tool making class, bumming smokes, and Yuenglings into the night.

Rest in peace my friend and my condolences to Tim, his mother and father and all that had the pleasure of knowing him.

I had the pleasure of teaching at P.V. when Mark was the shop assistant-great guy. He was fun to work with, very knowledgable, good at passing on knowledge. Something that still makes me smile is that he didn't have much use for stupid stuff-like the people who would grab a plastic 5 gallon bucket for an ash dump. He hung a melted one on the wall with something like "don't be stupid" on the side of it-too funny. I'll miss him at the Valley-and the pig roast.
Mark Emig