I Forge Iron

5 damascus B&T's

atakach

Here are 5 that a customer ordered for Christmas gifts, I thought they came out really cool. Even though the pic isnt very clear, the pattern in them was real nice and had great contrast. They are 1095 and 15n20. They all measure between 6 1/4'' - 7 1/4''.

The handles are (L to R) , snakewood,ironwood,buckeye burl,camel bone,box elder burl. All the woods are stabilized.

164034_171942479514845_120263071349453_3

163745_171942612848165_120263071349453_3

To paraphrase, stabilization is to remove the air in the wood or bone with polyurethane or polymer under a vacuum. let it dry and it is then stabilized. usually penetrates 1/8"-1/4" depending on what you use. if you google it there a bunch of ways to accomplish this. Chad J

I believe that means the wood is put into a vacuum chamber and then injected with an Epoxy resin , colors can be added as well in the process, but this "stabilizes" the wood to prevent cracking and deformation due to humidity and temperature changes.

:):P
the knives look really nice too for sure!

the previous poster that said they only penetrate to certain depths is incorrect in my opinion, these were done professionally, and are 100% stabilized the whole way through. One way it is obvious is that they were larger pieces and ground way down, the dye is just as vibrant in the wood as it was before ground.

They are done i believe with a combo of heat,vaccuum, and either acrylics or polymers. these particular pieces came from www.arizonaironwoods.com

thanks all

andrew