I Forge Iron

first stainless knife

I just finished the blade with 240 grit on a 2" belt sander. Where do I go from here, I would like it to be pretty polished. I have buffing wheels and compound if that it the next step. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

200 grit steps up to 1400 grit then compound for the high luster, be sure to replace all previous sand scratches with the current abrasive scratches before stepping up to the next.

• 2 weeks later...

well calling it a knife is somewhat of an exaggeration, more of a letter opener and pretty crude, but I will post a pic anyway when I get a chance. thanks for all the help! kevin

I am decent when it comes to polishing metal, I always start with about 220 then progress 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500 then 2000 or compound. Rouge works good it you have a buffing wheel but I do it by hand so I just use rubbing compound. I just recently polished some 1911 .45acp pistol barrels and compensators.

Use the good water proof sand paper I use 3M. Get you a bowl or a bucket with water and a few drops of soap. Keep your paper wet and clean and it lasts a lot longer and the finish will be nicer. Nothing hightech about my method, lot of sanding.
post-15800-0-11561800-1294548526_thumb.j
This is an ruff knife blade made from a golfcart spring
post-15800-0-16714600-1294548524_thumb.j
and here it is semi-finished, not my best work but it looks good. Had a few deep scratches I missed. I still need to finish the handle.