I Forge Iron

Help Choosing Hammers

Silent

I need Help Choosing some Hammers.

Im having some trouble forging the bevels (japanese Style) into my recent works. Sooo... im looking for a hammer that wont leave Scuffs that my older ones do.

The Steel i use is W1 with 0.85% Carbon or C80U/C80w2 or C105w1(because is easy to hammer), sizes 900mm x 30mm x 9 mm (Thick)

The Store

Regular Hammers
http://www.bricodap.com/contents/pt/d324.html
Martelo de pena 1500gr OSCA (OC01103P15)
13,10€

Heavy Stuff
http://www.bricodap.com/contents/pt/d326.html

This is what i was thinking to buy(Click Screarch , because Portuguese for you must be like a bora looking for a Palace xD)

1x Marreta - VITO (VI31xx) 1Kg (without Cable)
2,30€

1x Marreta 1,25K DIN6475 OSCA (OC01125P12) or 1,5Kg?
7,50€

1x Marreta oitavada 1000grs - VITO (VIM1000)
6,30€

Need some Help:P

Regards

1x

When you say leaves "scuffs", is it your existing hammer face that needs dressing, or are you not hitting the material square on, leaving edge dints from the hammer face?

A new hammer will not solve basic technique problems, and will probably have to be dressed to your liking anyway.

Pictures of the "scuffs" may help

When you say leaves "scuffs", is it your existing hammer face that needs dressing, or are you not hitting the material square on, leaving edge dints from the hammer face?

A new hammer will not solve basic technique problems, and will probably have to be dressed to your liking anyway.

Pictures of the "scuffs" may help

The hammer i use, doesnt have a flat surface, it's irregular.

That's why im interested in a "Rough Forging hammer"(1,5kg) and a "Precise one."(1000gr Octavated)

I will buy 2 with cable, and One without. i just need to Choose.

Regards

I have a 1.5 kg swedish crosspeen that I love; *but* I find it's too heavy for me unless I have been getting a lot of regular hammer time in. I might suggest going with a lighter one. Messing up your elbow and being told to do absolutely NO smithing for several months is not much fun!

No matter what you buy you should expect to have to re-shape (dress) the face to make it good for smithing. Could you try dressing your current hammer first?

The hammer i use, doesnt have a flat surface, it's irregular.

That's why im interested in a "Rough Forging hammer"(1,5kg) and a "Precise one."(1000gr Octavated)

I will buy 2 with cable, and One without. i just need to Choose.

Regards

My recommendations are basically what Thomas and I have already suggested, dress the head of your existing hammer first, and see what the effect is

Then it really comes down to a personal choice, if you are buying store items go with the ones with fitted handles rather than having to fit your own, unless you are experienced in handle fitting. You want one that is comfortable for you when holding and hammering, you may have to shape the handle to suit your grip for best results

It is easier to select suitable ones if you can handle them before deciding or spending money on them.