I Forge Iron

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not tough when you have the right tools to do the job. In the end it is what works for you the best that matters.

You're right, But most of us have to do it "By hook or by crook", and that won't fly with this. At any rate the set screw would be a lotta work and I simply don't care to do it. as far as the overall function is concerned It matters little.......thanks mb

Hey just forget the set screw thing just a thought. don't worry about filling the hole make the die big enough to bridge over it. It won't hurt a thing and you may want to use it later. Sorry for all the grief I caused you.

Grief? The irs gives me grief.I think real value of this site is you can take what you need and leave the rest. It's all good...........I appreciate the input....mb

Disaster.......the 7"x29"anvil was some kind of cast iron. 7018,308ss,thermanite,mig all failed to weld it.all welds broke away from the boss metal and took out big hunks, bah....took it back to the salvage yard with some other junk and never looked back........Ryerson don't look so bad now! euirgfeiyucvyu8d

Disaster.......the 7"x29"anvil was some kind of cast iron. 7018,308ss,thermanite,mig all failed to weld it.all welds broke away from the boss metal and took out big hunks, bah....took it back to the salvage yard with some other junk and never looked back........Ryerson don't look so bad now! euirgfeiyucvyu8d

That's a shame on the anvil. It was really looking up. It looks like you've got the hard work done with the ram finished, or at least fitting.

I was just about to give up on finding material for mine and then I just got lucky. Drink a beer and relax till after the new year and I bet something will turn up.

I found more shafting and round bar drops than you could count yesterday, but the guy wouldn't sell one piece. That stuff was so hard to find I was going to get an extra piece for someone, but I couldn't make it happen.

You're hammer is looking good!!!

Aj

That sux.

Yikes! I'll assume only the hammer was damaged since you're typing.

I spose there's a lesson to be learned here....I've got a perfectly good cordless grinder collecting dust in the shop and that puppy would have likely prevented this. Junkyard steel is allot cheaper, but I ASSumed it was the right stuff....... High Ho, back to school again.........mb

I spose there's a lesson to be learned here....I've got a perfectly good cordless grinder collecting dust in the shop and that puppy would have likely prevented this. Junkyard steel is allot cheaper, but I ASSumed it was the right stuff....... High Ho, back to school again.........mb

You know what the say about assuming something. "It's the mother of all screw ups!!" I've made my share of emmmm... and I'm sure I'll make some more.

Aj