I Forge Iron

Three Little Giants

Coming home from work the other day I spotted what looked like some power hammers sitting in a lot beside the road. So the next day I turn down that way and sure enough I see three little giants sitting there, two 100 pounders and a 50 pound. I talked to the guy who was just locking up the shop and asked him about the hammers, he told me that they belong to his dad. So I ask if they are for sale and he says maybe one of the big ones, and he knows where there is another 50 pounder down the road. I went by there today but they were already gone, he is going to take me to where the other hammer is and I will see if he is interested in selling it
post-10376-0-32763300-1292558150_thumb.j post-10376-0-73006700-1292558245_thumb.j post-10376-0-56757200-1292558252_thumb.j post-10376-0-08364600-1292558260_thumb.j

Fe- there are lots of spare parts laying around there, arms, main shaft with fly wheel, I did not see any dies other than the ones in the hammer
Bigun- what I meant to say is the guy that I had talked to was already gone, the hammers are still there, I do not think they will be going anywhere soon, he may be willing to sell one of the 100 pound hammers, I will get by there again next week, the rain has put a stop to our work for today, so I am staying home

They look like they haven't been used in a while but I didn't notice any broken parts.

I did wonder about the spring in the last picture. It is adjusted waay in. I usually adjust
mine (25lb) so the adjustment screw just starts compressing the spring...and then I back off
a hair. I got to wondering today if that adjustment is correct and if anyone adjusts
the spring one way for a particular reason and another way for another reason.

Anyone know?

Looking again I wonder if the spring in the last picture is the correct spring?

Bob

I followed up on a pair of LGs that were in Placerville a few years ago. I saw a picture of them at a Sacramento auto swap meet. What was odd was that both had the arms cut in half. They were sold when I called. IIRC they were around $1,200 for the pair, or maybe it was $1,200 ea, $2,000 for the pair. It's has been awhile.

Keep us posted on your adventure.

It's amazing what one can find while driving around. I am a farrier over here. One day at a customer's place behind the shed I saw a portable forge - complete. I ask the lady what she was doing with it. She said her husband was going to haul it to the scrapyard. I ask if I could have it. She said yea, so I got a complete portable coal forge, with working blower for free!!

Will be interesting to see how the outcome if for you.

• 3 weeks later...

Those hammers are still there, and it sounded like the may be willing to sell one of the 100 pound hammers, I just do not care to take on another project at this time and I am trying to pay off some things this year so I have not followed up on the hammer, I am a sucker for a deal that is too good to pass up, so I drive by there daily with my blinders on
I will get a new air hammer probably a Say-Mak when I am ready for a new hammer, much better control, more versatile and no tinkering, just plug and play

Those hammers are still there, and it sounded like the may be willing to sell one of the 100 pound hammers, I just do not care to take on another project at this time and I am trying to pay off some things this year so I have not followed up on the hammer, I am a sucker for a deal that is too good to pass up, so I drive by there daily with my blinders on
I will get a new air hammer probably a Say-Mak when I am ready for a new hammer, much better control, more versatile and no tinkering, just plug and play

I'd have to drive another way. Well my friend, there's hammeritis, hammer envy, and last but not least, hammer interuptus......they all hurt.....................mb

If the price is right, pick it up and resell to help pay off those "things" this year....