I Forge Iron

Scrap Air Hammer

Thought you all might like to see my power hammer. It was made from plans from www.artistblacksmith.com that my dad got me for my birthday. Didn't have any work on at my fabricating job, so i asked my boss if i could use some of the scrap steel we have at the workshop. He was very keen for the steel to do something other than sit in the corner of his shop. The only parts i needed to buy were the pneumatics, steel for the dies (h13) and anvil and the nylon for the guide box. The hammer is actually SHS with 12mm round left over from a balustrade packed in capped with some 25mm plate. Let me know what you think.

post-2607-0-55793100-1292314897_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-22804200-1292314902_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-50862200-1292314904_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-96941900-1292314906_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-74005800-1292314909_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-68853700-1292314911_thumb.jp

post-2607-0-66124900-1292314913_thumb.jp

I built my hammer from the same plans and I really like it. The best thing about that design is the way you can make changes and alter the design to fit your needs. I run mine with a foot pedal and with just a small amount of practice I can now do single strokes or go full auto. You will really like the control along with the power. Nice job on construction. Spears.

Thought you all might like to see my power hammer. It was made from plans from www.artistblacksmith.com that my dad got me for my birthday. Didn't have any work on at my fabricating job, so i asked my boss if i could use some of the scrap steel we have at the workshop. He was very keen for the steel to do something other than sit in the corner of his shop. The only parts i needed to buy were the pneumatics, steel for the dies (h13) and anvil and the nylon for the guide box. The hammer is actually SHS with 12mm round left over from a balustrade packed in capped with some 25mm plate. Let me know what you think.

Good job on the fabrication. I am familiar with David Robertson but never have looked at the plans or hammer. Thanks for posting this.

Hey guy, My name is A.J. Nice looking hammer. I just purchased the same plans and I've been trying to locate materials. Today, I found the I-beams. I already have a piece fo 8x8x1/2 tubing for the main support. I'm not having any luck with the 4x4 solid needed for the ram. Looks like you used tubing? If so, you filled it with steel to get the weight? What size air cylinder did you end up and use, and where did you get it and all the other air parts? Thanks for the help AJ in Baton Rouge...

Thanks for the comments.
A video you say? How about its first time being run?

This was on the compressor at my work at low psi with no top die in it. I'll try get a video of it doing its thing with some hot steel.

A.J yeah the hammer is tube filled with 12mm round bar that we had left over. I did have a photo of how the inside of the hammer looked prior to welding but i can't find it right now. I'll whip a drawing up in paint so you can see what i mean. As far as finding the pneumatics go Where do you live? I could tell who i got mine off but i doubt you would want to come to New Zealand to pick them up. I'd suggest doing what i did though look up pneumatic part retailers and take in the plans. Show them the circuit drawing in the back and they will probably be able to figure it out for you.

Whoops forgot the drawing.
If you make your hammer like this you have to weld something top and bottom that you can drill and tap into (i used 25mm plate) and remember to v your weld preparations.

post-2607-0-53369200-1292477372_thumb.jp

AJ, if you can't find components locally, you might try McMaster-Carr. Their web-based catalog is one of the best I have ever seen, and in my case anyway, the shipping is incredibly fast. Somewhere I think I have parts numbers for the air components if you are interested.
Dave

JA, Thanks, I was wondering what you filled it with. I guess it really doesn't matter as long as it's heavy.. Tubing is a lot easier to come by than solid stuff that's for sure. Here in Baton Rouge, there just isn't any surpless metal supply places... Nice job!