I Forge Iron

another anvil ID

I have an opportunity to do some trading for this anvil, and I just want to confirm my idea about the manufacturer. By the shape of the horn and the steps on the feet, front and back, it looks to me to be a Peter Wright (comments? concerns?) He says it weighs between 120Lbs and 130Lbs.<br /><br />Also included in this swap is that monster of a hand shear. I've never seen one like it and was wondering if any of you have? Does it look like it could handle cutting steel rod? <br /><br />The trade is the anvil and shear for a 110V Lincoln mig welder / cart / spool of 0.025 wire. Good trade?

post-15181-93542_thumb.jpg

post-15181-83127_thumb.jpg

The anvil has flats on the ends of the feet which is particular to some brands, I dont remember which though. It does not matter, that is to good a deal to pass up :D . That shear may cut 1/2" flatbar cold and larger material hot. Sometimes that is nice to not have to cool bars before cutting. After you get it clean it up and post more pics.
Rob

The only thing that I can't figure out with the anvil is the bump out (I don’t know what else to call it) on the table part. That usually is seen on "Ferrier’s" anvils, correct? But, I haven’t seen one on a Peter Wright.

post-15181-32492_thumb.jpg

With the ledges on the feet that is certainly how I would bet not having looked at any stampings on the side!

BTW I'd call that a moderate sized shear having seen some monster Edwards shears that weighed in the hundreds of pounds!

Straight blades are not too good for rods as they tend to chip; but that would be a doozy for heavy sheet metal!

there is no bump or clip off the anvil table, its just a illusion from the picture. look at the first picture of the sheer and you will notus that you can see the anvil from straight above and there is no clip, the bump in the anvil picture is just something in the background. also its not just a sheer it looks to be a punch to, ask about if he has any punch and dies to go with the sheer, looks nice!

You may be right, but i can't assume that is the same anvil, because he said he has several. But its a good bet that it is and it doesnt have the clip. thanks for the good eyes!!!

Also i think you right about the shear. In the back it looks like it has some other attachments and/or purpose.

THE GUYS SAYS HE HAS TONS OF OLD TOOLS AND OTHER GOOD STUFF, SO I MIGHT COME HOME WITH A LOT MORE THAN THESE TWO PIECES. TIME AND MONEY WILL TELL!!!

there is no bump or clip off the anvil table, its just a illusion from the picture. look at the first picture of the sheer and you will notus that you can see the anvil from straight above and there is no clip, the bump in the anvil picture is just something in the background. also its not just a sheer it looks to be a punch to, ask about if he has any punch and dies to go with the sheer, looks nice!

Just a note. 1st pic the anvil is much lower tham the shear.2nd pic the face is higher than the blade. After enlarging X 4 it looks like a clip horn to me. Also it appears to not have a table.
Ken.

OK, i went and picked up the loot yesterday (you will find out why i say "loot") and i am so xxxxxxx!!!!!! happy.

I traded him a 110V Lincoln 140amp welder FOR the anvil, the hand shear/punch, the 8" Black and Decker bench grinder, and two pairs of tongs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The anvil turned out to be a 145lb Peter Wright (1-1-5 stamped in the side) in what i consider "really good" condition. The ring of this anvil is absolutely beautiful.

I'm still doing some research on the shear, but it is really cool and it works!!

The grinder he just gave to me because it was too big for anything he does.

and he found the two tongs (on the left) under the bench and decided to give them to me too!!!!

All this came from his home garage, and he said he's going to call me soon when he is ready to go through his old barn out back. Nicest guy in the world and i think I'm going to save HIS number!!! HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!

post-15181-0-85328800-1292172028_thumb.j

post-15181-0-92810800-1292172041_thumb.j

post-15181-0-74335400-1292172053_thumb.j

post-15181-0-89469900-1292172070_thumb.j

post-15181-0-23736700-1292172081_thumb.j

post-15181-0-85712300-1292172090_thumb.j

post-15181-0-45054600-1292172100_thumb.j