I Forge Iron

Hay-Budden factory issue or a repair??

I think its safe to say that is a repair... And even though it looks like a great weld I dont think its a good repair.. If the top plate had come loose you cant just stick the edge back down, it would still be loose under the top plate..

Is the anvil dead in the spot above the repair? (not have has much bounce as other parts of the face plate?)

Definitely not original condition. Looks like MIG. As was said, its not enough to weld down the edges. But I notice the weld is not parallel to the plate. Is it possible it's a full penetration weld, or at least a very deep one? Rebound would tell.

Sprinkle dry sand across the face then wack the top of the heel lightly and watch the sand carefully. This will tell you if the plate is comepletely attached.

So if the sand over the repair doesnt move like the rest, it may not be attached below that area?

Strange edge repair if so but if it's not dead I'd put it to work. The bead may give you a bit of greif but there are other parts of the anvil to go to I guess if it's in the way

I could always grind the excess weld and radius the edge a bit. It'll be my outside anvil next year. Sure does look small sitting on my biggun, a 410lb PW.

Could be the origianl owner "thought" it was cracking and decided to 'repair' by welding up the seem. I talked a guy out of doing this to his anvil because he thought it was a crack when it was in reality just the line from welding the face to the body. Heck, use it and if the weld give you grief as MM suggested you could grind it down some...That's what I would do if it were mine anyway.

The question is did they sell them or were they "back door" items? A lot of businesses refused to sell seconds at that would affect the perception of their product. Some would sell them but remove/obliterate their trademark first.

In Columbus OH, which had *2* anvil manufacturers at one time, I have seen a number of unmarked anvils that scream out their maker; but were never marked (or had the waist weld seam dressed!). I believe that some of these went out the back door without being paid for...