I Forge Iron

Finally - the presses are up off the floor

Dex

Finally got round to getting my Denbigh #3 up off the floor and onto a stand. Result! At the moment it's up against my Sweeney & Blocksidge press, but eventually they'll both have a bit more wing room. They're both results of bargain hunting, the Denbigh cost me £41 and the S&B £31. The Denbigh will easily fold (90 degree bend) 1 x 1/4" bar at a dullish cherry, and the S&B will do that stone cold. I'm experimenting with punching.
If anyone's interested in old steam engines I'll add the story of the S&B press.

post-6249-0-46354200-1291392114_thumb.jp

Finally got round to getting my Denbigh #3 up off the floor and onto a stand. Result! At the moment it's up against my Sweeney & Blocksidge press, but eventually they'll both have a bit more wing room. They're both results of bargain hunting, the Denbigh cost me £41 and the S&B £31. The Denbigh will easily fold (90 degree bend) 1 x 1/4" bar at a dullish cherry, and the S&B will do that stone cold. I'm experimenting with punching.
If anyone's interested in old steam engines I'll add the story of the S&B press.

The S&B I bought from an agricultural engineer in Suffolk who was 'going hydraulic' but originally the press came from a local works wind down/shutdown in the late 60s early 70s. That works was the Richard Garrett works at Leiston. They of "Beyer Garret" fame with double-ended locos all over the world in standard and narrow guages. Garrett for many are known for their agricultural and showmans traction engines, and steam powered fire engines.
If you look what the S&B is using for a stand you'll see it is a pair of very heavy castings - usually used in factories to support the pulleys, belts and shafting to distribute power from a central steam unit. These castings (produced in the in-house foundry) were obviously just lying around and became a stand. If you go to Leiston now there is a small part of the plant preserved as a museum, and you can see the same castings here and there. Interesting to think what my press might have helped build in it's heydey.

Check out the site. I walked around the shop pretty much alone, and it has the minimum of "modern museum nannying" (no video screens etc!) - it's kinda like me or you would keep it all in a big shed. Freezing cold and smelling of oil and metal. A heavenly couple of hours!

http://www.longshopmuseum.co.uk/