I Forge Iron

Got a "new" anvil

but don't know much about it...was used in a fellow's grandfather's fabrication shop until 1941 when it got put in the barn. It looks like the top was rewelded to the bottom....but it rings like a bell on all sides from top to bottom..am going to clean it off with a wire wheel and see if I can find any markings....any ideas on what it might weigh? It is 29 inches long by 3-1/2 inches wide. Was all I could do to lift it straight up onto the tailgate of the pickup. I hope I can figure maker out, and I'll weigh it this weekend. 'Preciate any and all help.

anvil3.jpg

anvil2.jpg

anvil1.jpg

The hourglass depression under the base and the overall shape makes me think it's a Hay Budden. There might be a serial number on the front of the foot. If you can provide the number, someone will be able to tell you the year of manufacture. If it is indeed a Hay Budden, they usually had the weight stamped on the sides below the name stamp.

Great deal! It does look like an HB. Check above the left front foot under the horn. If there is a single digit about 5/8" high stamped there, its almost surely an HB. Looks like the plate is sound, the edges are good and just a bit of swayback around the sweet spot in the center. Looks like there are a couple of cutting torch nicks in the edges which is not unsual. It looks great!

They were made in at least the two pieces and in "recent times" they were arc welded together. Earlier times they were forge welded together---ever have a forge weld fail?

On my wall of shame I have the base from a 100+ pound anvil that the entire top is missing---weight stamped though so I know it was once complete. Postman said it's most likely a PW.

I'll post some more pics once I get'er all cleaned up so we can all see the weld job. Rings solid, even through that weld. measured it wrong too....face is about 4-1/2 inches by 18, so that seems like it would be around 200# based on the HB literature.....

I seem to remember a story in Anvils in America where occasionally they could hear the tops of the Trenotn anvils popping off once they were all finished due to changes in materials from wrought iron to steel making the forge welds harder to 'stick'.

Trenton started arc welding the tops and bottoms together shortly thereafter.