I Forge Iron

Hardie Har Holes

Hey Folks. Just aquired my first anvil, a 244# South German as far as I can tell, that was brought to Canada from Germany by the previous owner.

There are two divets of identical shape and position at the start of the horn and the start of the taper in the heel. Dieter, the blacksmith I purchased it from, said that they were there when he purchased the anvil in Germany for swordmaking and that their use was unknown to him. Does anyone have an idea as to what workflow these divets( 1 1/2" arrow shaped x 1/2" deep) would have been for?

There are Hardie Holes fore and aft on the waist about 2" deep. What would be the use of these vertical hardies?

Thanks

i think your talking about holes in the waist of the anvil fore and aft? those are used to hang on to the anvil in manafactureing there are tongs that fit in those holes so they can hoist the anvil around while hot . at least thats what i think your refering to.. hope this helps.

Sounds like handling holes to me as well. Their number and placement can help identify makers of some anvils. Is there one on the bottom as well?

Some smiths will fill one with punch lube to always have a source close by.

I trained under a swordmaker and we never used anything like that!

It was purchased through Halifax Kijiji and I am happy with the purchase. Next the gas forge.

I will check underneath for the other hole when I have the facility to do so. It would be nice to have the pedigree. I saw a video of an anvil being forged by a group of strikers. What do you call the guys working the tongs?
I was told that the base would be caste but it looks to be all hammered.
Don't have a camera right now but will have after Xmas. I will post a pic then.