I Forge Iron

Wood screws to match Ironwork

Anyone know where I can buy "bare" wood screws to match my ironwork ?
(I use a wire brush followed by sandpaper wich leaves the work at a dull grey with darker spots and some highlights).

I don't want paint or shiny finishes.

I know it sounds easy to find but I haven't had any luck so if anyone has a link could you please send it my way ??

Thanks !!
Naz

Anyone know where I can buy "bare" wood screws to match my ironwork ?
(I use a wire brush followed by sandpaper wich leaves the work at a dull grey with darker spots and some highlights).

I don't want paint or shiny finishes.

I know it sounds easy to find but I haven't had any luck so if anyone has a link could you please send it my way ??

Thanks !!
Naz

Dip the screws in an acid bath for a minute or so, then nutralize, then gun blue them for a dark finish. Or heat them up to a red color, let cool, and hot wax. - JK

Try here http://www.blacksmithbolt.com/ They claim no zinc coatings on anything, I've always been pleased with their selection and fast shipping. Kayne and Sons, aka Blacksmith Supply also carries some hardware for people like us. Also good people to deal with in my experience.

Jeremy's method also works if you can cope with acids. Use white vinegar if you have a few hours to wait, muriatic acid if you want fast and toxic.

How well does blued/black oxide hold up outside? In my experience they are rust catchers. Haven't tried the wax technique, that may be better. I think a lot of outdoor fasteners matching iron work is just either left to natural rust or painted over. Depending on where you live a lot of rust will just cover the surface and go no further. Of course in my experience, by the ocean or other acidic areas that rust just seems to get more and more corrosive as it takes effect.