I Forge Iron

odd little vice

teenylittlemetalguy

On vacation I found this neat little vice. No brand name or markings at all. It is built like a post vice, but it has no leg. Small jaws about 3 inch wide.
the hinge plate apears to be brazed on the rear jawpost and the front is riveted in the plate. Screw threads into a seperate nut that is inset but not attached, just like a post vice. Spring looks like an obvious replacement,I can see wear marks from a missing flat spring.
Not sure what it was built for. I had not seen one like it so I thought I would share a picture.

post-4928-0-67683600-1290994357_thumb.jp

It is just a small bench vise. These were common before cast iron vises were made. This is what you would have used if a leg vise was too big for your needs. It was not a trade specific tool. They are forged from wrought iron with steel faces welded on the jaws. The ones I have have also brazed screw boxes. The braze on your is probably a repair. As the ones I have have a mortise and tenon joint there.

My father had such a vice. I spent my formative years using it to grip various bicycle and motorcycle parts while I had my way with them. My brother, knowing an interesting tool when he saw it, took it home with him years ago. His widow, not knowing (etc.), sent it with the scrap man. Oh well....

Nice!

You can find a whole range of old vises using the same basic design as a leg vise, From large leg vises down to small handheld clamps 6" long. You can usually find a good selection on ebay. I think at one time that was the standard design pattern for vises. FWIW I have seen the size you have described as a jeweler's vise on ebay.

I have a few of the hand clamps. I've been wanting one similar to yours for a while but couldn't justify the cost. I don't need it. Just want it :)

Bob, thanks, I see no spikes on mine, but that would have been a nice feature.
Phil, sorry to hear about the scrap man, that sounded like a good old vice with some great memories. My grandfather was a machinist and I would give my I tooth for just 1 of his old tools.
Maddog, thanks for the info. When I saw it I thought first off how simple it was and that I might be able to copy it. but of course I just bought it. if you want closer pix in order to copy it I can send them. a hand size would be nice.