I Forge Iron

50 LB. Little Giant Mounted on Timbers

I am in the beginning stages of building me a blacksmith shop and was wondering how well bolting down a Little Giant power hammer to some 8x8 pressure treated timbers works. I plan on having a dirt floor in my shop. I could pour a concrete foundation for the hammer, but don't really want to. I was told that using timbers would work but don't know anyone that has done it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Mike

Im not sure how it will work on a dirt floor, for comparison I had a Champion #1 (65 lb.) mounted on a base built from 8x8 timbers, that was attached to a concrete slab via 1" round bar "stakes", it worked pretty well. IF you ran the hammer wide open there was a very slight bit of movement (hammer rocking), and I mean VERY slight. That may have had more to do with the attachment method of the hammer to the base (big lag bolts) then the base/slab situation.

Obviously it would be better to have a slab under the base, but at a minimum make sure youre ground is level and packed.

FWIW, the first Spencer type tire hammer I ever saw was flat on the dirt floor. I first saw it on Anvilfire's Junk Yard Hammer section and while on a visit to North Carolina, I went to visit Jim "Paw Paw" Wilson and to see this hammer. It had a 1" thick base plate and was just sitting on the dirt floor of his smithy. I know its not a little giant but the principal is similar. If I remember correctly, it was held in place by long spikes driven into the ground. So, I would think that sitting on wooden beams would be even better. Personally, I would bury them flush with the ground perhaps with a 3" or so bed of crushed rock to slow down rot. My two cents :)

my first hammer was a 50 lb little giant mounted to a 3x4x3/4 plate and set on the ground it worked fine tho it slowly moved (about 1 inch every 6 months) and eventually had to drag it back into place.with timber it shouldnt be a problem but you might make some stakes for the corners just in case .should work fine good luck!

Thanks for the responses. I'll try to secure the timbers to the ground with spikes and see how that works. If it don't work, I'll pour a concrete foundation for the hammer. Grant,
I know what you mean about burying the timbers! I'm 6'5" and the Little Giant is short enough already. I know that people weren't as tall back then when the Little Giant was first built. Sure would hate to run one all day bent over. I'm getting to old for that.
Mike

It'll work fine, but....

My old 25 LG hit a lot harder and moved steel quicker, after I bolted it to a concrete foundation. Big difference!

My old 100 lber was even more noticeable.

PS. I'm only 5-10 and set my 3 hammers 6" above the floor. Much mo better!

i'll second that.. cement baseblock and it'll hit very nicely and cut the vibes down.. theres plans on the LG site.. i used them and it rocks !!! ;)

If you can pour a concrete base for it, it will hit much harder, be more stable, not move around as much, and be less likely to shake nearby buildings. It is definitely worth doing, unless you are planning to move soon.

Mike: Not sure about the specs but there is a what I believe a 400# Champion steam power hammer that shows at the Central States Steam show at Pontiac, Il. every Labor day weekend that is mounted on railroad ties. It showed up at the Tipton, Ind show sometime around mid summer this year. Clifton Ralph and his helpers were foraging a new post vise. There is a picture of this hammer and an article someshere on these pages(mabey 15/20 pages ago. When they bring it to a show it and the boiler sits on dirt and when they do some serious hammering you can feel the ground shake but I don't recall seeing it trying to "walk". I can't recall who owns the hammer but it is not Clifton. If I can find the page it is on I will repost. Armand

Mike: OPPS! I found the post on page 5..Made a slight mistake! It is a 200 pound chambersburg, not a 400 pound champion! Title of post is Steam Hammer Demo. There is a good picture of the railroad tie base. Sorry about the mistake. {Told you I was not sure of the specs.] The location was the Tipton co. Fairgrouds at Tipton, In. [in spite of my mistake of the specs and id. it is still an impressive hammer and these guys put on a good demo!} Armand