I Forge Iron

Unidentified Anvil

Sorry I can't help you but I came across an anvil with the name FISHER on it and on the side it has an eagle. I weighs in the 100# range, can anyone tell me anything about this type of anvil?

If it looks like this>
0910100852.jpg

Then Its a fisher-norris eagle anvil, If I'm correct it has a cast iron body welded to a forged horn and tool steel face.

post-1-0-25846900-1291004273_thumb.jpg

Sorry I can't help you but I came across an anvil with the name FISHER on it and on the side it has an eagle. I weighs in the 100# range, can anyone tell me anything about this type of anvil?

A picture of your anvil will help identify when if was made, and condition. If you post a photo, I can tell you a lot about it.

That thin rim around the base making sort of a stylized hourglass shape is generally a Hey Budden, early style, later ones had a much heaver one. Some early ones the rim has been worn flat with the bottom---I have one like that; but it's well marked with the maker on the side.

The round holes probably were added later by a previous owner to bolt it down---are they threaded? If not perhaps they place a couple of bolts in a stump and droped the anvil over them to keep it from walking.