I Forge Iron

Hardware for chest

I am trying to make some hardware for a chest. I would like to make straps around the chest that look like leather belts. Does anyone have any suggestions /tooling /pictures /ideas that would put some details in this. Right now I am looking at some belts in my closet and trying to get a perspective on this. Thanks

That is some cool work on the harnesses. I did think about using real leather. My idea is to use a 6" pipe split in half about 8" long, make a box for the bottom make "leather" straps around it. i think I can make a tool to look like stitching, maybe also use it for the hinges. Still gotta figure out a buckle.The rest is handles and latch.

I have some 1/4 inch flat hot rolled that is pretty close in texture to leather. Wire brush all of the scale off and rust the iron, follow with brown shoe polish and it will look very leathery. (Vinegar, or any diluted acid, for rust: apply, wait, hand wire brush, repeat until you have a nice even brown.)

I have some 1/4 inch flat hot rolled that is pretty close in texture to leather. Wire brush all of the scale off and rust the iron, follow with brown shoe polish and it will look very leathery. (Vinegar, or any diluted acid, for rust: apply, wait, hand wire brush, repeat until you have a nice even brown.)

Thanks! That's a great idea. I bet I can even polyurethane it. Last night I tapered the end of some 1/4 flat (like my belt) ground a chisel real thin and put rounded marks in the end (with my 4 1/2" grinder) heated it, stamped it around the edges, and it looked like stitching. Thanks for the tip!

Looks like you got it right. Sure looks like leather to me. Are you going to patina it?

Yes,but right now I am making a box and I have 2 of these straps going around it. After the box is done, I will try some stuff, fciron had a good idea about the shoe polish.