I Forge Iron

Metal?

elfshadow14

1080, 1084 & 1095 are all comonly available from most steel suppliers ... 1086 is a bit different. The only guy I know that has any 1086 is Howard Clark, he had a batch made for him to his specs. If I remember right he said it was about 2 semi truck loads of barstock, I don't think he's selling though. But 1084 is pretty good for most of us mortals ;)

Jens

You guys buy 5160?

While I don't make knives I do on occasion make bladed tools. when I run low on new stock I stop by the local spring shop and ask if I can BUY some drops. I always offer to BUY but so far, in better than 20 years of mooching, they've never asked for a dime.

Be polite, ask if they have a few minutes to spare, explain what you do; blacksmithing has a mystique, take advantage of it. If that fails stop by about opening time with a box of doughnuts and ask again. Once you have a little practice give the shop's owner and maybe foreman a knife and you'll never have to buy 5160 or 9260 again.

Frosty