I Forge Iron

Rotor Forge

Donaven

Ok so my wife is having the rotors changed on her suv and I thought, "What a great time to build a forge!" I have one question though... All the videos/pics I have seen of brake forges have used rusted drums/rotors and my wife's rotors seem to have a shiny yellowish coating on them. Is there something that needs to be done to prepare newer rotors before I use them? Thanks in advance for the help.

To perpare then for the forge, first take them of the car.

I have no idea what the coating is. Usually old rotors are rusted from several thousand miles of exposure to the elements. If you can not get a definitive answer from the forum, ask the car dealer, or the rotor manufacture. If still in doubt, go to a garage or place that works on brakes and ask for some rusted one from their scrap bin.

NEW rotors have a coating of oil or cosmoline, depending on the vintage. (pre 1980 often have cosmoline) Clean cosmoline with brake fluid, otherwise wipe with kerosene, spirits or some other volatile to remove the oil.

Install the new rotors on the car.

Take the worn, scored, pitted warped rotors to use for the forge.

Politely ask Glenn for a link to the 55 forge directions, and understand that is a drum is not handy then you can set the rotor into a sheet metal shelf or table to the same effect.

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

Donaven: One further word on the "Yellow" coating on the rotors. Is it shiny like gold plating, as seen on some bolts, nuts and such fasteners? If it looks like some kind of gold colored chrome plating there's a really good chance it is cadmium plated to inhibit the mature brake drum/rotor rust coating. If it is Cad plated it is NOT safe to build a really hot fire in, Cad fumes are not only toxic but carcinogenic. (Cancer causing)

If it's painted burn it off somewhere the fumes won't bother anyone.

Being this side of the Atlantic I don't know what's industry standard for the auto industry on your side but I have seen things done very differently in Europe. If for some reason you can't safely use an old brake drum/rotor consider a cast iron frying pan or small pot, drill a few holes, mount it up and you're ready to go.

Frosty the Lucky.

• 1 month later...