I Forge Iron

Asking a question???

elfshadow14

According to research on the internet, there are no components of steel that will leach out, burn out, gas off, or any other term I could think of at the time that would cause a health problem from normal blacksmith use. Applied coatings, such as paint, galvanizing, powder coatings, various chemicals, etc, are a very different matter and care should be taken when removing or applying these coatings. Using 4340 steel as an example (Element Weight % C 0.38-0.43 Mn 0.60-0.80 P 0.035 (max) S 0.04 (max) Si 0.15-0.30 Cr 0.70-0.90 Ni 1.65-2.00 Mo 0.20-0.30 ); the chromium, molydenum, nickel, etc, will not "come out of" the steel and therefore do not pose a health hazard as a component of the steel. Commercial steel suppliers can provide uncoated steel of various grades so one does not have to worry about using steel itself.

Theer is certainly a concern when a lot of things are heated, Like those mentioned here. We are all exposed to chemicals that may be toxic. Some are real bad guys and let you know right away that you got a dose. Many folks use muriatic acid for etching damascus knives or cleaning scale..get a whiff of it and you react right away. Carbon monoxide is another one you may not realize it but it is deadly and silent,,,does not have a smell. You may notice headaches after exposure. Likely the most commonin gases from smoking some folks smoke for decades and do not see side effects. When Jim Wilson (Paw Paw) heated the galvanized he got the text book signs of exposure. In addition he had been along term smoker and had lung disease as a result. He was a friend and a great guy I miss him.