I Forge Iron

Repairing an Anvil?

That cracked and separating plate could be part of a more extensive problem or it could be limited to just that region. Were it mine, I would remove a generous rectangle the included all the separation and cracks, round the edges and use it that way for a while to see if it's stable. It would be like a plowmaker's anvil. Eventually, I would try a patch using 7018 as a buildup and perhaps some hardfacing on that.

I have an old Anvil I just picked up, was wondering if I could get some tips in repairing it. Would appreciate greatly any help!! I've attached some photos of is broken on it.
-chris

Before you do anything to it, do a thorough search, here on IFI. There is a lot of info on this site.

That's quite an old anvil; the lack of a pritchel hole pushes it back before the 1820's, the small ridged feet---it could be back to the american colonial days.

You might find someone needing a 200+ year old anvil who would trade you a more modern one in better condition!

If you do decide to flake off the delaminated chunk of face I'd suggest keeping it as there will be someone who would like to have a knifeblade made from early steel!

Am Rev living history, Fur trade, etc.

As for fixing it you may want to practice welding on wrought iron as that is what the body of that anvil will be.

Just from what Thomas Powers just stated I would leave as is and MAYBE trade it for a newer one.(I would be more prone to keep it...as is!)
Repairing anvils is not for the timid...takes time, knowledge both of welding and heat treating, and expensive. If you are determined to pursue the idea of repairing it do a 'google' search on "anvil repair" and read the one by Robb Gunter. IMO, it is the best procedure for this type of repairs I have seen that is out there. If you choose to do the repairs I hope you don't regret it later....nice piece of history...
I would think that it is still usable as is. Take a hammer and lightly tap the entire face paying close attention to the sound and rebound, "thuds and dead" spots are bad. Mark these areas and simply don't hammer in them. You may be surprised at how much of the anvil face you can use.