I Forge Iron

how do i weld them together?

nwaite

Sounds like you've been drinking the same kool-ade as the Royal Navy. They thought it was a good idea to trade armor for speed, and found out how well that worked at Jutland. They were left sweeping the battlefield mostly due to their long tradition of naval aggressiveness, but the German battleships were clearly superior and more battle-worthy. The HMS Hood didn't do so hot being faster than the Bismark, either. (Although I know I'm cheating a bit there, because the Hood was a battle cruiser, and not a battle ship. But since it sank in a direct exchange with the Bismark, the point still holds true.)

Sherman tanks were much more mobile and faster than German armor, but fared poorly against them. The advantage the Soviet T-34 had was in it's sloped armor and 85 mm high-velocity gun. And volume. Quantity had a quality all its own.

That's just two that come to mind. Speed and mobility are only decisive in some circumstances.

edited to add:
I just re-read, and this came off as incredibly smug and superior. Sorry. That wasn't my intent.

Yes it was an exaggeration to counter the idea that the extra weight in a shield would be a real advantage. I didn't mean it to be a treatise on combat. Of course one must have the right combination of speed, mobility, fire power and armor, and the right balance between agression and defense, and this depends on the type of combat. What works against another battleship may not be the right setup to deal with an aircraft or a submarine.

I am just amazed that from some bloke asking how to weld 2 pieces of spring together we ended up discussing the battle of Jutland or that a Hummer is better than a bush master, etc.
If I was to ask what is the better fuel for spaceships would we end up discussing the best included angle for grinding a hardie edge. I'm not nit picking I'm just amazed at where we end up going with these discussions.

Phil

I was going to keep the infinite improbability drive a secret, but now its out. Guess I am gonna need an armadillo helmet now to stop the government from stealing my ideas.

Phil

You got armadillos down there too?Are they poisonous?
Seems like everything else down there is. ;)

You got armadillos down there too?Are they poisonous?
Seems like everything else down there is. ;)

Nah the armadillos are not native to Oz, there were a couple that escaped during WW2 that had been mascots for US forces stationed here, and are now in plaugue proportions, thats why we sent you the gum tree, as pay back. I'm pulling your leg really. We would have sent you the gum tree anyway.
Actually we normally get whoever is coming to Hammered at Moonys to bring some Armadillo helmets with them. I was going to say that we normally put aluminium foil in our hats but armadillo helmets seemed so much more avonte guarde.

Phil

Nah the armadillos are not native to Oz, there were a couple that escaped during WW2 that had been mascots for US forces stationed here, and are now in plaugue proportions, thats why we sent you the gum tree, as pay back. I'm pulling your leg really. We would have sent you the gum tree anyway.
Actually we normally get whoever is coming to Hammered at Moonys to bring some Armadillo helmets with them. I was going to say that we normally put aluminium foil in our hats but armadillo helmets seemed so much more avonte guarde.

Phil

You guys are really missing the boat here(pun intended).
Armadillos are excellent kitchen fare.They have a flavor somewhere between opossum and beaver.I would expect your platypus might also be along these same lines in a culinary context.While armadillos are also easier to skin than platypus(parboil and then shell them)the fact that they also don`t have venomous spines which must be removed before serving like the platypus does make them more suitable for the elderly and small children.Always a consideration when serving large groups with short prep times.
Of course any animal introduced to Australia is bound to develope some sort of ersatz defense mechanism such as venemous spines or razor sharp teeth just as a way to display it`s displeasure with being stranded so far from home.

BTW-Tin foil is the internationally preferred method of keeping the thoughts from leaking.It also keeps the mother ship from spying on your brain waves.As we know,"Mother is always watching!".
Armadillo helmets,you Aussies are such slaves to fashion.

Bon appetite!

I hate armadillos. Possums in flak jackets, carrying leprosy. Yech.

Just thought I'd share.

What`s a bit of leprosy between friends shared over an open fire and washed down with warm halzone laced canteen water.Those are the type of moments no amount of money can buy.

Ah,the good life! :D

In what's probably a futile attempt to get this thread back on track, I want to point out that had the crew of HMS Hood been equipped with armadillo helmets, the Bismarck would have been toast!

No one has mentioned that the "HOOD" went down with a lot of civilian workers on board still trying to equip it out, it still wasn't finished !
As a boy I knew a few women who were widowed when it went down.

Ok I will chime in before Glenn closes this thread- I drove through a little piece of Louisiana my way to see Brian Brazeal and I will tell you what there are a bunch of armadillos out there, drive one mile you will see three dead armadillos and two churches, then three churches and two armadillos and so on and so forth, oh ya and houses with vines all over and trees growing inside, great place to visit- I did find beer on sunday also- oh yes beer!!!!

Ok I will chime in before Glenn closes this thread- I drove through a little piece of Louisiana my way to see Brian Brazeal and I will tell you what there are a bunch of armadillos out there, drive one mile you will see three dead armadillos and two churches, then three churches and two armadillos and so on and so forth, oh ya and houses with vines all over and trees growing inside, great place to visit- I did find beer on sunday also- oh yes beer!!!!

Didn`t know armadillos even went to church.I wonder what denomination they are.
Is the moral of this story "Be careful when walking to church(or going to get beer)if you`re an armadillo"?
Those trees weren`t growing in those houses they had just come to retrieve the remains of dead relatives (used as framing lumber) so they could give them a proper burial.The vines were just a diversionary tactic.