I Forge Iron

wall hook

jake pogrebinsky

Forging is my only income,but "income" is not what makes ends meet around here.Food,shelter,clothing,transportation(et c.,as per the U.S.Army Survival Manual),come from the River.
So while scavanging along the River in summer(mauch like folks work their jobs,wishing that they could forge instead :) ),i come across assorted wreckage.
Log spikes that i come across i scavange(other iron too,of course).
Spikes are just a (very low C)10" or 12" of 3/8" stock on one hand,on the other they've had an eventful past.
Somehow,it matters to me, that past life of steel.
This design slowly evolved out of all the exercises that i thought very usefull in the past(hot-cutting,punching,peening),plus the obviousness of the stock origin,plus just a practice in the timeless form of rod ending...

post-3679-0-76803900-1289288389_thumb.jp

post-3679-0-23680200-1289288412_thumb.jp

post-3679-0-66427300-1289288447_thumb.jp

Jake,
It is a good thing to remake a piece of metal into another style/purpose. It seems that metal is one of the most forgiving of materials for reuse. You're piece is a testament to that. Nicely done! It's not about the scrap, but what can it become in the hands of a craftsman ;)
Tim

Great stuff Jake. Phil K. on the oldtools list pointed some of your stuff out to me a while back and you inspired some work at my forge. Shamelessly copy, sincerest form...yada..yada

its titled JR for Jake the Russian as PhilK refers to you. The evolution of the design is certainly apparent. Looks like I've got some new shapes to practice.

post-182-0-11491600-1289330164_thumb.jpg

Very cool,Michael,right on!(But please don't embarass me by even mentioning my old work,i'm mortified by most of it :blink:

It would of course be needless to say that NO design in iron can ever be traced to any particular smith,so a "copy" is not even a concept :lol:

I would,if i may,recommend this particular rod-ending(the leaf is irrelevant,though).
The important thing about this that i see is the chisel split,and the resulting trapezoidal section of the halfs.
Since it's very difficult to further refine the crotch,i've learned to work with the shapes as they are,and they add lots of volume to the finished look(hope that i'm making this clear in any way).
Also,the heart shape in general is great in practicing the controlled bending/scrolling of the closely located parts.

Phil is a great mentor,the only smith that i ever met in person,and an incredible man in many ways.
It was his idea that the hooks of whatever shape can be practiced as a "finger exercise",on a regular basis.Maybe a quick one before proceeding with the day's work,while the fire stabilises.
Everything that i've ever achieved in metalwork i owe directly to Phil Koontz.In the words of his wife of 30+ years:"The kindest man i've ever met".

• 3 weeks later...