I Forge Iron

Horseshoe Rasp Tomahawks

I used to grind both sides of the files teeth off, but I dont bother anymore as it made no diference when forge welding them up. And as a side benifit I'm not wearing my grinders out and I have more mass in the hawk. I have not ground the teeth off of the one in this pic, didn't hurt the weld at all. as for the handle its a not a problem and it may even help keep the handle a bit snugger in the head.

DSCN0566.jpg

DSCN0567.jpg

DSCN0564.jpg

Darrel

I leave the teeth on it just because, like already said, it leaves a little more steel on the hawk and it really doesn't matter once you get it up to heat and forge weld it. I have made quite a few, never put the detail into it like cutshurt, which, nice piece by the way. If you are new to forgewelding then I would recommend only wrapping the rasp around a forgewedling it together, don't worry about the extra piece of steel in the middle until you get better because it only gives you one forge weld to worry about instead of two, just my 2.25 cents (adjusted for inflation) The teeth also kind of help grip the handle as well if they are not smashed completely flat while I'm drifting it.

-Andrew

Actually-Even thought I'm not an "artist blacksmith" and haven't made tomahawks before, I can forge weld in my sleep from making forge welded bar horseshoes for 25 years. I hope I can get this other stuff down too!! Being a darn horseshoer doesn't make one a blacksmith... Been twenty tears since I quit and I'm just getting my shop going. Have a nice shop-just need to get my butt in gear and DO SOMETHING!!! Thanks for the great picture!! Gives me something to work toward....

We just leave the teeth on. Dosnt hurt anything. Back when we first started making and selling a lot of rasp hawks we would double over some of the hawk for more bit material. Thats when good rasps were abundunt. Now we add something like 1065,1075,1095 or W-1 for the cutting bit. We sometimes use a full length bit just like cutter did above..Heres a few pics we took a while back while forging a rasp hawk..
Materials....
newpics002.jpg
Ready to weld...
newpics003.jpg
If you look close you can see it in the fire..
newpics005.jpg
After the first welding pass..
newpics006.jpg
Using a guilliotine tool to forge in the notch..
newpics007.jpg
Upsetting the edge...
newpics008.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The eye of your "hawk" looks like you inserted a piece clear up to the eye? Or did you double up the rasp? Thanks. GREAT looking. Hope mine turns out half that good..... Eric

I fold 3 1/2" of the file in for the center then fold the rest over to form the eye and I have three layers to weld that gives the mass I want for the blade.

Darrel