I Forge Iron

Hofi style hood

All you need to do is look through this forum. You won't even need to go back that far. You will get much more out of it if you find it yourself than if someone else does your work for you. I mean no offense. You are getting into a craft that involves a lot of problem solving. This is as good a time as any to get started. An added benefit is that you will find answers to questions you didn't even know you had. Good luck.

Bill

The Hofi hood has been discussed on the forum. A search will locate the posts.

First what type building are you using? Are you going through the wall or roof? Do you have any building codes that cover forges and hoods? Will you get fined for not building your forge and hood according to the building codes? Will your insurance use those building codes as an excuse to cancel or not pay in event of a claim? We need information so we can help.

Randy,

Fill out the regional info so everyone can see where you are from. There could be assistnace right in your neighborhood.

The super sucker (side draft) design is available on anvil-fire.com web site. Easy to understand and you can modify same to your specific needs. Before you get too carried away discuss your plan with others and get some feed back. There is a wealth of information on this site for the asking. It can save you time and money in the long run. All the best and good luck.

Peter

All you need to do is look through this forum. You won't even need to go back that far. You will get much more out of it if you find it yourself than if someone else does your work for you. I mean no offense. You are getting into a craft that involves a lot of problem solving. This is as good a time as any to get started. An added benefit is that you will find answers to questions you didn't even know you had. Good luck.

Bill

Thank you Bill,

I had done that, but didn't find anything regarding dimensions. Did find some very useful info and great ideas. No offense taken and that is certainly sound advice.

Randy

The Hofi hood has been discussed on the forum. A search will locate the posts.

First what type building are you using? Are you going through the wall or roof? Do you have any building codes that cover forges and hoods? Will you get fined for not building your forge and hood according to the building codes? Will your insurance use those building codes as an excuse to cancel or not pay in event of a claim? We need information so we can help.

It is an all metal building 40 x 60 with metal roof. Going through the wall like the Hofi setup. No building code issues, or neighbors with a half mile. I attended (and joined) the IVBA event in Carlinville, Il over the weekend where I picked up a Roger Lorance fire pot and met some really great folks. Found a Champion blower in outstanding shape and am ready to start welding up a table. I have a 150lb Hay Budden but the edges are pretty rough. Really looking forward to it though. I've been reading and lurking on here for a while and finally decided to take the plunge. Thanks for the comments and I'm sure I'll have more questions.

randy

Take a look at the super sucker hood. It gives the basic dimensions. You will have to add the length you need to get outside your wall. Also you will need a shallow slope so any rain water will drain away from your fire and not towards it. The opening needs to be smaller in area than the area of of the chimney pipe.

Brian Pierson

Thank you Bill,

I had done that, but didn't find anything regarding dimensions. Did find some very useful info and great ideas. No offense taken and that is certainly sound advice.

Randy

Randy,

I'd like to give you a specific answer to your question but there may not be a single good answer. I've seen the plans for the "super sucker" hood which instructs that for proper draft the area of the hood opening must be less than the area of the chimney pipe opening. I've also seen plans for a 14x14" "Hofi style" hood connected to a 12" diameter chimney pipe. The 14x14" hood is close to twice the area of the chimney. If the photos of each in operation are to be believed (and I have no reason to doubt them) both of them look like they will suck the buckle off your belt. I'm about to move my forge inside for the winter and I plan to use a cross between the two hoods connected to a vertical 10" chimney. Once I get the fire inspector to OK the installation I will fire it up and give you a report on how it works. As a caveat, and I have not researched it, I suspect that the overall chimney length together with the height of the chimney above the roof has a lot to do with how well it draws regardless of the size of the hood opening. Again, good luck.

Bill

The square tunnel is 13 inches x 13 inches with a 4 degrees down slope to prevent the rain water from flowing back into the fire. The tunnel is some 4 feet long, but it can be 1-2 feet more if needed without any problams. The tunel is fabricated from 3/16 inch regular sheet metal (black), and painted twice with silver paint. After 15 years it is not rusted yet. The stainless steel pipes are 12 inches inside diameter. The hight of the chimney is 10 feet. In this case I wanted the chimney to go up as near as possible to the end of the roof. You can clearly see it. On the tunnel there is a 2 inch high coller that the chimney tube is seated on. There is a coller band holding the chimney with straps bolted to the wall. Hofi

Remember that the amount of smoke and exhaust you deliver to the outside must be replaced. Leave a window or door open for any hood to work well.

Ok, so I'm looking at building a side draft hood... Someone posted a picture of the Hofi setup in this thread:

Also, I recall reading that the Hofi hood is basically the same as the "super sucker," but with the back end extended ~4ft. My question is, does it have to be the back? Could I extend one of the sides of the "super sucker" design out through the wall instead?

Thanks,

Luke