I Forge Iron

Beaudry #7 finally home, photos.

Well it took me forever to go get this hammer, for various reasons, but its finally home. I took a few photos on the trailer, will post some more next week when I get time, will probably separate the frame/anvil so I can clean all the crap out of there and paint in those hard to reach spots.

Everything is "free" moving, can turn the clutch over by hand and move the ram so thats a good sign. The sow block key is also free so removing the sow block should be easy enough. Only big issue is the motor, which is just "stuck", havent tried too hard to free it up yet, will do so next week. I actually found an original 7.5 hp 900 rpm GE motor, rebuilt, over the weekend but the shop was closed so I have to wait till monday to see if its available.

Enough rambling, here are a few quick photos, more to follow in this thread as I progress with clean up, and installation.
5153786249_8fc9c8a893_z.jpg

Notice the tie down strap almost cut in 2, for future reference I think chains would be more reliable.

5154399144_185ab92e7e_z.jpg

5154396880_3406924a13_z.jpg

Here are some of the "extras" that came with the hammer, a really good set of combo's that look new, and a set that the lower has been modified to what appears to be a chisel point. I will weld that one up and reface.
Also notice the rebuild/bushing kit, kinda unique.

5153793233_01e3387b7c_z.jpg

the "good" set of dies is 6" deep, nice heavy set.

5153795011_7b149917d1_z.jpg

More photos to follow as progress is made.

The #7 is 200 lb, havent actually weighed it but that was the weight they came with. Barbour Stockwell bought out Beuadry some time after WWII, as well as Fairbanks and a few other hammer manufactures. Cant remember the details exactly but they are in the "Pounding out the Profits" book. So the later made Beaudry's were marked Barbour Stockwell, and were essentially the same hammer. Matter of fact would love to find a smaller, later manafuctured hammer someday.

yeah it was a bit touchy hauling it from Pittsburgh to Jasper, I just took it REAL easy.

looking to have a set of flat dies made, after I get it up and running. Going to use the "good" set of combos in the pic. I have gotten used to combo. dies and really use both sides alot.

yeah it was a bit touchy hauling it from Pittsburgh to Jasper, I just took it REAL easy.

looking to have a set of flat dies made, after I get it up and running. Going to use the "good" set of combos in the pic. I have gotten used to combo. dies and really use both sides alot.

I had a machine shop make a set of 4x7 H-13 dies for my #4 and they have held up for over 20 years - it's good to have those big slab tables to work on.

Rob, im definitely going to do what I can with the motor that is on the hammer now, but for the sake of time im going to buy the one that is ready to bolt on and go. Plus the one I found is the exact model that would have come on this from the factory, not that it matters a bunch. Even after paying freight on the one im buying, its less then the 3 qoutes I had for rebuilding this one.

My plan is to take this one apart and do what I can for it, maybe I can get it running by myself, keep it put up for a future project.

Lamey, nice looking hammer. What's the dovetail height on your dies ? On my #7 the dovetail is about 1 5/8" tall.
Yours look taller, has the ram and sow block been remachined ? The upper die on mine is cut out of a 4"x 4"x 8" block, what size are yours? If you use the taller dies (which I wish I had BTW) won't you lose 4" of forging height?
I'm also curious about your bearings, mine is one piece solid bronze. Do you know what the buttons are, graphite?

Andrew

Andrew, im pretty sure its all original as far as dovetail cuts in the ram/die block. I will measure and let you know what the dovetail height is later. THe "taller" set of dies is 8" long, cant remember the width, wand as you can see 6" from face to bottom of dovetail. The bushings are bronze with what appears to be graphite pads. Cant wait to get this thing in motion!

edited to ad- on the die height affecting the forging height, there is plenty enough adjustment to compensate for the taller dies, so no worries there.