I Forge Iron

Some Hammers Of Interest

Had a great day with my new friend from Alaska, who contacted me through IFI some months ago about a visit to NZ. I took him out to The Tokomaru Steam Museum http://www.tokomarusteam.com/ for a look at a fully operational steam set up. Here's some pics of a couple of steam hammers and a big old Massey (10 hundredweight I'm told). I'd love to get some more info on these hammers, for the owners please.
Thanks for looking, Jason.

gallery_9990_4_1453579.jpg
gallery_9990_4_3208886.jpg
gallery_9990_4_3035575.jpg
gallery_9990_4_2496864.jpg
gallery_9990_4_1136294.jpg
gallery_9990_4_2721821.jpg

John Nicholson will be able to give some information on the Massey hammer. John's father worked for Massey in Manchester England until they went out of business. John then bought the rights to Massey, the drawings, etc. and has made a nice business out of rebuilding them. If I remember right, they started around the 1860's and sold hammers all around the world. Many of these hammers are still running today. I had the opportunity to visit John and his father in the old Massey factory in England and one of the more interesting things was the room where they stored the old mechanical drawings. They had the original ink drawings of all of the hammers produced... and many of them went back to the 1800's. John is active on this forum and am sure that he can add a lot more to this thread.

John Nicholson will be able to give some information on the Massey hammer. John's father worked for Massey in Manchester England until they went out of business. John then bought the rights to Massey, the drawings, etc. and has made a nice business out of rebuilding them. If I remember right, they started around the 1860's and sold hammers all around the world. Many of these hammers are still running today. I had the opportunity to visit John and his father in the old Massey factory in England and one of the more interesting things was the room where they stored the old mechanical drawings. They had the original ink drawings of all of the hammers produced... and many of them went back to the 1800's. John is active on this forum and am sure that he can add a lot more to this thread.

Thanks James. I had thought that JohnN would be able to let me know about the Massey. I was looking at the pics from your visit there, yesterday.
Jason

There's still a lotta pleasure livin in them thar hammers!
That place must just ooze with old energy!
Ian

It's great to see so much old working machinery in one place like this. They are in there 41st year of operation.
I grew up near by and got my first ever job here cleaning the brass plaques and helping out with the steam train they run.
Colin was trained as a blacksmith and farrier, under his father and went on to become an engineer. He is very experienced at working the machinery he has (except that big old Massey) which is a recent purchase.

The press brake came from the Luftwaffe factory in Germany after the war. Note the bullet holes/divets in it. The brand name on the next machine should be familiar with some you. They are still operating today from what I know.

gallery_9990_4_1024517.jpg
gallery_9990_4_3397083.jpg
gallery_9990_4_2870209.jpg
gallery_9990_4_2055855.jpg
gallery_9990_4_1701505.jpg
gallery_9990_4_3629922.jpg

That massey is one weird ass looking thing, never seen one like it.

It looks like a 'clear space' but with the ram from a 'Rigby' hammer in it. Ill have my first guess that its a special 'long stroke' self contained hammer. (the serial number is an oddball aswell..)

I will look it up from the serial number next week, then all its secrets will be revealed :)

Hi Jason,
Thanks for all those pics. I wish I owned those machines! :unsure:
Did you get to see Frosty's place while you were in Alaska? I recon his place has gotta be worth a good decco. Despite of the risk of 'harmfull trees' and dangerous looking slippers :D
Ian

That massey is one weird ass looking thing, never seen one like it.

It looks like a 'clear space' but with the ram from a 'Rigby' hammer in it. Ill have my first guess that its a special 'long stroke' self contained hammer. (the serial number is an oddball aswell..)

I will look it up from the serial number next week, then all its secrets will be revealed :)

Thank you John. All I know is that came from the railways. (NZR). They say it weighs 11 ton, with a 5 ton anvil and is 17ft high. And that there were ones twice that size used here also. We will be visiting the previous owner this week, so I'll see what else I can find out.
Jason

Hi Jason,
Thanks for all those pics. I wish I owned those machines! :unsure:
Did you get to see Frosty's place while you were in Alaska? I recon his place has gotta be worth a good decco. Despite of the risk of 'harmfull trees' and dangerous looking slippers :D
Ian

Hi Ian,
It was a visit by another member to NZ (my place) from Alaska. I'd love to get over to Alaska some day to check out Frostys shop and Frosty himself. It all sounds very interesting!
Jason

On a different note reference NZ
I tickled the paint off a plate on the side of a massey 2cwt clear space that revealed "Supplied by Kidd and Garrett, Auckland, New Zealand". Hence manufactured 1954 in the UK, then shipped to NZ and 40 years on shipped back to UK.
This hammer is currently running in my forge in Ireland, good quality tools are worth moving around..

On a different note reference NZ
I tickled the paint off a plate on the side of a massey 2cwt clear space that revealed "Supplied by Kidd and Garrett, Auckland, New Zealand". Hence manufactured 1954 in the UK, then shipped to NZ and 40 years on shipped back to UK.
This hammer is currently running in my forge in Ireland, good quality tools are worth moving around..

Man thats done some travelling! I know of 2 or 3 other 2cwts still in use over here. I'd like to see some photos.
Jason