I Forge Iron

Tong bits

Toreus

Hello everyone,

Quick question:

Is there a repository (book or website) that explains in detail how to make tong bits of different shape?

I've been trying to get wolfjaw/universal tongs and box tongs from some flat bit tong blanks I made, with no luck.

For stuff other than flat tongs, the only method I've seen is Brian's Universal Tongs, which seem quite a ways beyond what I can do atm.

Thanks for the help!

Most sets of directions show making flat jaw tongs, and there is simply not enough meat to make anything else with that little material left in the jaw. If you leave more material to form the jaw you will probably have an easier time about it, as cutting away excess is not a problem.

I'll root around my links and see if I can find something.

Phil

I've been trying to get wolfjaw/universal tongs and box tongs from some flat bit tong blanks I made, with no luck.

Hi Toreus. I made some comments on this subject in the original post in:

The "hybrid method" that I was referring to was employed for making a pair of wolf's jaw tongs. Phil is absolutely correct. Getting the mass at the bit is the tricky part. After that, it's just some routine shaping with a narrow fuller.

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Phil, thanks for looking at your links :)

evfreak, I'm not sure I really understand your hybrid method- it sounds like a hybrid of twisting stock and upsetting the bit, and that it's aimed at getting a good boss... Am I wayy out in the left field?

I think I'm leaving enough material but I was using a small round piece of Stainless rod to get do the indentations. Using a *narrow* fuller to get "notches" sounds like it would work a lot better than trying to get half-round impressions right off the bat.

I haven't tried making gooseneck tongs since that's what I have right now, but from what I can see, you just make the shoulder about 4 inches further back than you would otherwise, correct?

For the V- bit, do you just flatten it out then bend it lengthwise on a smoothly radiused right angle?

Thanks again for the help everyone!

http://www.metalwebnews.org/ftp/farm-blacksmith.pdf

Page 41. It is the same method that Brian Brazeal demonstrated in this thread:

Your idea leaving about 4 inches may be appropriate, but working your volume for the jaw you want to make and measuring back the equivalent volume with allowance for scale would give your best estimate. As I said earlier cutting off excess is fine.

There are other good references out there, someone else may post something different and helpful.

Phil

Other useful links this is included in.
http://www.metalwebnews.com/ed.html

evfreak, I'm not sure I really understand your hybrid method- it sounds like a hybrid of twisting stock and upsetting the bit, and that it's aimed at getting a good boss... Am I wayy out in the left field?

Hi Toreus. That's correct. Unfortunately, it doesn't work so well, because of the weak (thin) spot at the twist and the tendency to pick up a cold shut. I was thinking that I could improve on Mark Aspery's method :rolleyes: . If I were to try it again, I would upset more and push the upset back before notching and doing the twist. At the same time, I would not control the side spread of the bar, since one needs extra thickness at the twist point. As it stands, my wolf-jaw tongs are fine, and I just used them for a successful project recently. My process could use a lot of improvement. If in doubt, just use Mark's process. It is almost guaranteed (unless you try to monkey with it a little bit :P ).

Technicus Joe has a video on youtube of how to make bolthead tongs hes a great smith and his tutorials are very informative!...
I Hope This Helps!!

Just my opinion: There may be some useful tips in those videos but in general his forging technique is not something you would want to emulate.

Most old bolt tongs were made of flat stock shouldered on edge over the anvil radiused edges, some distance back from the end. The shoulders are on opposite edges, near and far of the anvil edges to define a rivet-hole boss. The near made shoulder demarcates the square-sectioned neck leading to the jaw, a short length on the end being left untouched. The far shoulder demarcates and defines the rein material which is drawn and lap welded to a rod. The neck is bent AWAY from the first shoulder making the shoulder disappear. This begins the somewhat 1/2 round curve it will have. The jaw is shouldered to make it offset so it stands proud, to be carefully hot split and opened to a Vee. A 90º jaw is more versitile than a half-round jaw. When the two pair are riveted, the jaws and reins can be aligned and fit to a specific piece in the vise or on the anvil.

Bolt tongs do not need the small diagonal shoulder one sees on flat jawed tongs. That little shoulder provides clearance for the boss, and it is made at the base of the flat jaw. On bolt tongs, there is no jaw clearance needed, because the boss is a distance away from the jaw.

"Keep the work of the Masters always before you." Samuel Yellin

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

In addition to Mark Aspery's books, and Brian Brazeals videos, maybe this:

Making tongs with Bill Epps:

Jim Poor's tong making DVD:

Harcourt's elementary forge practice has instructions to make a few different tongs; flat and bolt I think.

http://www.archive.org/details/elementaryforgep00harc

http://www.blksmth.com/tong_article.htm

And somewhere in IForgeIron some drawings on the Poz tongs posted by Grant if I'm not mistaken.

Hope it helps

Rubén

Grafvitnir sent in the sequential photo article by Nietfeld. I had not seen that before, but that was pretty much what I was attempting to explain verbally in my earlier post about bolt tongs. Yes, flat stock; that is the route to go. Starting with round stock will keep you busier than a three legged cat in a sand box.

http://www.turleyforge.com Granddaddy of Blacksmith Schools

Thanks Grant,

http://books.google.com/books?id=HvhslCiR-b4C&printsec=frontcover&dq=Blacksmiths+Manual+Illustrated+by+Lillico&source=bl&ots=KbTNeXuruJ&sig=_bH3IG5QLsQPxXE9KhN3oAdpJS4&hl=en&ei=l2LYTO6qOYKKlwfMp4SYCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=Blacksmiths%20Manual%20Illustrated%20by%20Lillico&f=false

Phil

Not meaning to be negative but Technicus Joe seemed to be making awful hard work of it. Given decent thickness stock and a good heat, with a hammer that size most guys could make the complete tong jaw in one heat - and fiddle about later!